Sequencing a simple cmd - how to? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Pro´s,

I´m new to app-v and ran into the following problem:
    I want to sequence a cmd-file which - for example - just runs IE and opens the intranet or copies files from one place to another.
    Another example would be just running a "portable exe" which needn´t to be installed.
    Is it possible to sequence a cmd-file and link it to the desktop of an ad-group?

Ofc I can add the cmd file for example (as an installer) without any errors, but there are no shortcuts or runables or anything I´d need.
    It´s just an app-v-package which can´t be used for anything.

Thanks in advance
    GoProo

/e: App-V 5.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2012 R2

• Edited by GoProo Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:56 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:40 AM

Answers

• One option would be to create a shortcut during sequencing: While monitoring, just create a link to the application (IE) or .cmd file, portable.exe,... It doesn't matter whether you create a machine or user link.

Another option is in the 'Sequencer Editor' that you get if you choose the 'Continue with Editor' option quite at the end of the sequencig wizard. There you can add shortcuts.

Of course adding shortcuts is also possible with Gridmetric's Application Virtualization Explorer (AVE)

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by GoProo Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:11 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:23 AM

All replies

• One option would be to create a shortcut during sequencing: While monitoring, just create a link to the application (IE) or .cmd file, portable.exe,... It doesn't matter whether you create a machine or user link.

Another option is in the 'Sequencer Editor' that you get if you choose the 'Continue with Editor' option quite at the end of the sequencig wizard. There you can add shortcuts.

Of course adding shortcuts is also possible with Gridmetric's Application Virtualization Explorer (AVE)

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by GoProo Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:11 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:23 AM
  • Hello,

thanks for the fast reply.
    I tried it with the first option.
    Then I published it, added an ad-group and checked "desktop shortcut".
    But the shortcut is not created.
    I cannot find any problems in the eventvwr of the appvmgmt-server nor the terminalserver.
    Do you have an idea what the problem could be?
    With normal programs I sequence the shortcuts are created.

Cheers
    GoProo

/e:
    Sorry, I was wrong.
    In some eventvwr-subfolders I found two errors now:
    Event ID 1008, Source: Client
    Event ID 19104, Source: Client
    • Edited by GoProo Tuesday, November 18, 2014 1:17 PM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 12:04 PM