none
Different weights (man hours, material, costs) of/within different WBS sections RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I am using Microsoft Project Standard 2010.

Within some elements of my schedule I would like to weight by man-hours, within some by material and within some others again by cost.

Also I would like to manually adjust the the weighting on the highest level of my schedule manually. E.g. WBS 01 20%, WBS 02 30% and so on.

By now I have only found out about how to weight by "Work"; putting in man-hours and then using the weighted %Work Complete.

But how about the other above mentioned weightings?

Thanks in advance!

Monday, August 25, 2014 7:54 AM

All replies

• hkd66,

For work type resources the Work field is essentially man-hours and it sounds like you figured that out. For material resources, the metric is defined by the material label and the standard rate per the material label (e.g. "bricks" at $1.00/brick). Weighting by cost is something you must "back" into via the quantity. Cost type resources are of course direct cost entries. Is that what you mean by "some others"?

Now the question comes, what exactly is your intent with regard to adjusting the weight at the highest level? Are you trying to set up the initial plan to achieve a certain man-hour and cost budget, or are you trying to achieve something else?

Although it may appear that you can "weight" your schedule's man-hours by entering a value in the % Work Complete field at summary level, that is not the intent of that field, nor the best use for it. You will not be able to do a similar thing with the cost field. Summary lines are intended for summarizing the data of the subtasks under them, not for rolling data down to subtasks.

We need to better understand what you are trying to accomplish (i.e. you end goal), before we can give you much guidance.

John

Monday, August 25, 2014 2:47 PM