none
IE super slow in loading .css under a particular user profile RRS feed

• Question

• Mighty all,

I'm facing an extremely weird problem affecting a particular user profile. One computer, several user accounts.

IE running under USER A on the right - loads fecebook.com (or any site with css involved) instantly (<1ms per item, as shown below).

IE running under USER B on the left - takes ages (5 seconds+) to load each element.

Problem remains after upgrading from IE9 to IE11.

Windows 7x64 Ent.

I've tried so far:

• deleting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\
    • deleting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
    • deleting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
    • Running IE in no-addons mode
    • Running IE in x64 mode
    • Resetting IE settings
    • Deleting cookies

Does anyone know why could .css be that slow to load for a particular user profile?

Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:47 PM

Answers

• Actually, ProcMon helped to pinpoint the problem: a 3rd party product has created 65 536 files in user's temp folder and IE had hard time creating new temp files.

Removing that 3rd party product solved the problem.

• Marked as answer by Alex_zz Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:06 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:06 AM

All replies

• HOW TO Fix a corrupted user profile
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:27 PM
  • yeah, that works for sure :)

I am more after a root-cause analysis: "re-imaging a computer when a single registry change would be sufficient" is a less preferred approach on our side

Friday, October 24, 2014 8:26 AM
  • Any group policy applied on the users? are users same domain?

Imposible is nothing

Friday, October 24, 2014 8:53 AM
  • all users have the same set of GPOs

(deleting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer was tried - no use).

Friday, October 24, 2014 8:55 AM
  • yeah [replacing the corrupt user profile] works for sure...I am more after a root-cause analysis

"Root-cause" possibilities would be endless (e.g., malware infection; third-party applications; etc.).

If you'd like to discuss the corrupted profile further, you'd be better off posting here instead=> https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=w7itprosecurity

Good luck.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:08 AM
  • I've opened a case with MS.

In case anyone have had similar symptoms and found a way to fix it - please let the world know ;)

Monday, October 27, 2014 8:16 AM
  • Hey Alex,

care to share? :)

Imposible is nothing

Monday, October 27, 2014 1:41 PM
  • Sure thing. As soon as we will finish troubleshooting it.
    Monday, October 27, 2014 1:52 PM
  • IE running under USER A on the right - loads fecebook.com (or any site with css involved) instantly (<1ms per item, as shown below).

IE running under USER B on the left - takes ages (5 seconds+) to load each element.

Sounds like you have two cases which could be compared.  If the IE Developer Tools aren't enough you could use ProcMon.  Do they both have the same security packages installed?  You might have to uninstall those to establish a base line.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, October 27, 2014 2:25 PM
    Answerer
  • This screenshoot was taken from one computer, where two IE instaces are running under different user accounts.

How would you recommend using procmon in this case?

Monday, October 27, 2014 3:03 PM
  • This screenshoot was taken from one computer, where two IE instaces are running under different user accounts.

How would you recommend using procmon in this case?

I don't know if the Developer Tools trace well using ProcMon.  I was thinking that your 5 seconds of delay would show up clearly in one trace but not in the other.  In fact, there probably would be events which would show the Developer Tools modules in the Stack, so you could probably supplement the DT trace with the ProcMon trace to some extent.  First though I would want to know if the delay was on the server side, because it seems likely.  You might be able to glean that from the ProcMon Network events but I imagine a NetMon trace would be simpler and clearer.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 5:08 AM
    Answerer
  • Actually, ProcMon helped to pinpoint the problem: a 3rd party product has created 65 536 files in user's temp folder and IE had hard time creating new temp files.

Removing that 3rd party product solved the problem.

• Marked as answer by Alex_zz Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:06 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 9:06 AM
  • And the third-party application was...? <crickets>
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 12:06 AM
  • cool, what was the application?

Imposible is nothing

Friday, December 12, 2014 11:35 AM