Datasheet View with DataSource RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am new in SharePoint, So I need your support for upgrade my self.

I have question ;

1. How we can create Datasheet View in SharePoint 2010 with data coming from back-end.

I have sql server 2008 database. I want my table data into DataSheet view and edit the data using sheet.

2. How can we edit List in DataSheet View Mode. As "Edit in DataSheet option" is Missing. How can I get option "Edit in DataSheet option".

Here I am requesting you to please give your kind glance to the issue & do some needful.

Vijay

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

To make sure I understand your question.

You have created an external list in your sharepoint with an SQL Server 2008 database?

You CANNOT edit in Datasheet mode for your external Lists. Your best option would be to create a WebPart or a Control to use GridView Control (requires Code)

Regards

Ranga

Regards Ranga www.sharepointfrontier.com
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Monday, July 18, 2011 1:14 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Hi Vijay,

The option "Action -> View in DataSheet" is the way people switch to datasheet view in MOSS 2007. In SharePoint 2010, people go to the datasheet view by going to the list ribbon -> Datasheet View under List tab. However, if you’re using SharePoint 2010 business connectivity service application(BCS) to display backend SQL Server data in an external list of SharePoint site, you don’t have the datasheet view feature as Ranga mentioned above, the option is grayed out there. To know more limitations about SharePoint 2010 BCS, please see:
    http://www.chakkaradeep.com/post/BCS-Limitations.aspx

Thanks & Regards.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To make sure I understand your question.

You have created an external list in your sharepoint with an SQL Server 2008 database?

You CANNOT edit in Datasheet mode for your external Lists. Your best option would be to create a WebPart or a Control to use GridView Control (requires Code)

Regards

Ranga

Regards Ranga www.sharepointfrontier.com
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Thankx Ranga,

But can you please tell me how can I get Option " Action->View in DataSheet"

Vijay

Thursday, July 7, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Hi Vijay,

The option "Action -> View in DataSheet" is the way people switch to datasheet view in MOSS 2007. In SharePoint 2010, people go to the datasheet view by going to the list ribbon -> Datasheet View under List tab. However, if you’re using SharePoint 2010 business connectivity service application(BCS) to display backend SQL Server data in an external list of SharePoint site, you don’t have the datasheet view feature as Ranga mentioned above, the option is grayed out there. To know more limitations about SharePoint 2010 BCS, please see:
    http://www.chakkaradeep.com/post/BCS-Limitations.aspx

Thanks & Regards.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:37 AM
  • Hi everybody,

am suresh from india working on sharepoint 2010. i need your help.
    how to get lookup fields to work in Edit in Datasheet view mode. i mean how to filter the data in child columns of a list in datasheet view in sharepoint 2010.
    I have created the cascade lookup columns for a list  by editing the particular list in infopath, giving some filter properties…, its working fine in standard view but not in data sheet view. In datasheet view the data is not getting filtered and showing all the choices.
    i also downloaded cascade lookup product from http://www.artfulbits.com, and installed in my PC, it is not working in data sheet view.
    that product is available in codeplex, kwiz.com also but they r also not working in datasheet view.
    I am in a critical situation, please could you help me.....

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:09 PM