Outlook 2013 - multiple same categories displayed RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 Pro-build 2004

Outlook 2013, current version

Exchange 2013

I recently opened a contact and discovered that ther single category I had associated with the contact was displayed multiple tines:

How to clear this?

John Lenz

Thursday, July 2, 2020 3:49 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

>> I had associated with the contact was displayed multiple tines.

Does this issue only happen to this specific user in your email account? Or happen to all the categorized contacts? It is suggested to add other email account to your Outlook and check if this multiple category tines issue could be reproduced.

To clear these multiple tines, please try the following suggestions and see if it works:

1. It is suggested to firstly try to manually clear all these flags via Contact > Tags > Categorize > Clear all categorizes and re-add the category to see if the issue has any difference.
    2. There could be some add-ins and custom views in Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.
    3. Corrupted datafiles may cause issues like this. Please rename your datafile (you can find your datafile via File > Account Settings > Account Settings > Data Files > Select your email account > Open File Location) and restart your Outlook client to see if it works.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 3, 2020 3:18 AM
  • Hi ,

Have you got your issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you.

If you have any update about this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Saturday, July 4, 2020 6:14 AM
  • working on it this weekend

John Lenz

Saturday, July 4, 2020 2:12 PM
  • Hi John ,

Thanks for your reply. 

OK, any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Sunday, July 5, 2020 12:19 PM
  • I cleared categories and the multiples cleared. I then rechecked the category and only one appeared.

Problem, I have hundreds of contacts. is there a better way?

John Lenz

Monday, July 6, 2020 7:48 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

>> Problem, I have hundreds of contacts. is there a better way?
    As I know, contacts of exchange email account are all synced with the mail server. So it is suggested to try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if it works.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 7:21 AM
  • Hi John,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. If you have any further updates on this issue, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

• Proposed as answer by John_WL Wednesday, July 29, 2020 3:38 PM
    Thursday, July 9, 2020 9:53 AM
  • Hi John,

It has been a while, how is everything going?

By the way, in order to close this thread, would you mind kindly marking my reply as answers so that others who might have similar issues as you could benefit from your thread?

Thanks for your understanding and support.

"Outlook IT Pro Discussions" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to the sticky post for more details.

Regards,

Jeff Yang

"Outlook IT Pro Discussions" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A! We invite you to post new questions in the new forum.

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 8:09 AM