none
No access to replicas RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently setup a DPM 2012 R2 with iSCSI connection to a disk-based storage (QNAP). O/S is Windows 2012 R2. When trying to access the replicas inside Windows Explorer, I get an "You have been denied permissions to access this folder" error message. Local administrator has Full Control permissions, and is also Owner of the resource/mount Point that I'm trying to access. I have also tried to turn off UAC but no change.

Please help!

/Amir

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 5:11 PM

All replies

• Funnily enough, one can't actually turn UAC off in 2012R2 so that the windows explorer can enjoy Administrator permissions.  Instead here is my suggestion.

a. copy the path for the replica and paste it into notepad, you should see something like this:

C:\ on youserver.yourdomain.local C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System\vol_7f326707-dea5-4c30-ad21-0f70aabebe62\b0d6b3d2-e4c1-4bbf-97c0-e1536f2e95d6\Full\

now copy the part after "C:\Program" to the end of the line into your copy buffer you should now have:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System\vol_7f326707-dea5-4c30-ad21-0f70aabebe62\b0d6b3d2-e4c1-4bbf-97c0-e1536f2e95d6\Full\

b. now open an elevated command prompt window, (chose run as administrator for cmd.exe).

c. into this window, type the path from above, eg:

dir "C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\File System\vol_7f326707-dea5-4c30-ad21-0f70aabebe62\b0d6b3d2-e4c1-4bbf-97c0-e1536f2e95d6\Full\"

this should show the contents of the C: drive of the server whose replica this is.

Please keep in mind that you should NEVER need to access this, ever.  Instead to restore files, you should be using the recovery section in the DPM console.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 3:46 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. However, I tried this but still get an access denied error:

C:\Windows\system32>dir "C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\SqlServerWriter\vol_25f14665-3221-4d7f-8c5b-3999a494f8da\6a245cd3-bf97-4150-a237-9e3da5510ea4\Full\C-Vol\"
    Access is denied.

The reason why I need to reach the data this way is because one of our customers manually wants to copy the data once a year, as they unfortunately don't want to invest in a tape device for long-term protection.

/Amir

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 10:51 AM
  • I have a similar situation, I want to be able to take a complete copy of the DPM storage pool onto offline disk storage. So far the only options I have found is either:

a) use a virtual tape library like firestreamer

b) create a secondary DPM server to protect the replicas located on the primary DPM server.

Microsoft Partner

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:24 AM
  • You're getting access denied because this is a SqlServerWriter replica instead of a FileSystem replica. Fortunately the solution is simple. Simply use DPM to restore the database involved to a folder on a computer where the dpm agent is installed, or even a folder on the dpm server itself, then copy it from there to wherever you like. if you want to try something complicated, read on. It's likely the SqlServerWriter replica folder is ntfs secured to SYSTEM only, meaning administrators don't have access. You could try opening a command prompt as the SYSTEM user and trying the dir command from above again. This can be done using the psexec sysinternals utility from Microsoft. So from an elevated command prompt type: psexec -s -i cmd.exe
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:26 AM
  • I have a similar situation, I want to be able to take a complete copy of the DPM storage pool onto offline disk storage. So far the only options I have found is either:

a) use a virtual tape library like firestreamer

b) create a secondary DPM server to protect the replicas located on the primary DPM server.

Microsoft Partner

c) backup the dpm database, then take the dpm server offline, remove the storage pool disks and hardware clone them using Linux dd commands. keep the cloned disks and database together as your long term offline storage. To access, build a server, install dpm, restore the database, attach the disks, import them using disk management because they will appear as foreign disks, then run the DPMSync –sync command. (not recommended but technically feasible, option B above is probably better)
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:44 AM
  • Thank you, I can now list the contents when running as System user. However, I wonder if it would it be possible to use psexec to open i.e. Windows Explorer with System user and then add Administrator to the folders that I cannot reach at present?

/Amir
    • Edited by Jaan Meijer Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:17 PM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 11:58 AM
  •  and then add Administrator to the folders

Please do NOT do this, because this will change the content (NTFS permissions) of the replica folder, and the replica will then be detected as "inconsistent" with the server being protected.  You'll then need to do a consistency check, during which it will put the permissions back automatically.

although you might be able to carefully adjust permissions on a higher level folder such as:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Volumes\Replica\

just make sure you adjust the permissions on only that folder, and not any subfolders etc.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 9:12 PM