none
Windows Backup Error 0x8078015B during System Image restore RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen solutions to this error when it occurs during creation of a System Image, but I receive it when running a restore of a system image.  Here are the parameters of the problem:

System: Getac rugged laptop with SSD fitted in place of an HDD.  It was running Windows 7 with SP1 before the failed restore.

The System boots using Windows repair disk, but the OS has been trashed by failed restore, so normal boot brings up a missing OS error.

The System image is held on 3 DVDs.

Invoking System restore prompts for DVD #3 to identify the restorable images.

Selecting image for restore prompts for DVD #1.

Approx. 20 mins and 20% into restore, the error message 'Windows backup error accessing remote shared folder 0x8078015B' displays and the restore bombs out.

This process is 100% repeatable and is not dependent on whether the 'reformat and repartition' check box is checked or clear.

There is only one image on the DVD set from which to select the image to restore.

As the BIOS had been updated to lock down (disable) Bluetooth and WiFi for use in a secure environment, the BIOS has been returned to factory defaults in case this was the cause of the problem.

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 9:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi TaoDude,

According to your description, I think your backup image should be broken/corrupt.

As you said, this error usually appears during create restore image rather than restore system. I search online for a long time, only one user have the same condition as you, but there is no solution can be consulted.

Windows Backup restore from system image failing with 0x8078015B

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/364925-windows-backup-restore-from-system-image-failing-with-0x8078015b

Therefore, I think the first thing we need to do is reinstall system, make computer runs normally, then recover data from CDs, there is a documentation introduces how to operate.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/34630/how-to-recover-specific-files-from-a-windows-system-image/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 9, 2016 5:47 AM
  • I also ran into this system backup error while trying to create a system backup image. After attempting many possible suggestions to resolve this (including doing a clean boot, using a system repair disc, clean install from Win 7 installation discs) I did a complete system install using an imaged Windows 7 copy. The imaged copy was from a different PC.

To ensure the imaged copy performed correctly I installed it on a third computer. That 3rd PC functioned properly & I created a system image from it without any problems. 

I then re-installed Windows 7, from the imaged copy, onto the PC giving me the 0x8078015B error. I then attempted to create a system backup image & again received the 0x8078015B error.

Other than the system backup image error, the PC is working without any issues.

In short the issue remains. 

Saturday, November 19, 2016 9:56 PM