none
The semaphore timeout period has expired (0x80070079)) RRS feed

• Question

• I have DPM 2012 R2 with physical and virtual tape libraries, from last few days DPM is unable to write data on Physical Tape Library (Dell ML600). Every time a scheduled backup job runs or if i run it maually or if i try to erase the tape, below mentioned error is generated : 

The operation failed because of a protection agent failure. (ID 998 Details: The semaphore timeout period has expired (0x80070079))

Backup jobs on Virtual tape library are running fine, it's just the pysical tape library on which operations are getting failed. Any help regarding this will be higly appreciated !!

Saturday, October 24, 2015 8:37 AM

All replies

• Interesting....I actually just started getting this error this week as well.  Virtualized DPM server running 2012 R2 4.2.1338 with a physical tape library.  Everything worked fine up until Monday and then kaput! Errors all over the place!
    Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:36 PM
  • Run read/write test on each drive of the physical tape library, if the test get failed that particular drive should be replaced, if tests are ok on each drive than you can delete tape optimization (if configured) and run the backup job.
    Friday, November 6, 2015 6:00 AM
  • In my scenario, this error is getting generated as i have turned on "Co-location".

I've tested it out for example:

Configured two protection groups (PG-A and PG-B) with long term protection only.

Scheduled both PG backup to run after 2 weeks with retention of 6 weeks.

Each PG has one member and inserted only a single free tape in physical tape library.

Manually started backup job for PG-A, that was successfully completed. Now started PG-B backup job that returned "Semaphore timeout error", also when i tried to erase this particular tape error was same.

Removed the tape from tape library and inserted a new one, started backup job for PG-B which was successfully completed. Started backup job for PG-A, failed with same error.

Deleted "co-location" and inserted two new tapes in tape library, backup jobs for both PG-A and PG-B was successfully completed on individual tapes.

Kindly let me know if anyone had the same issue and if there is a solution for it !!

Monday, November 23, 2015 3:56 PM
  • In my scenario, this error is getting generated as i have turned on "Co-location".

I've tested it out for example:

Configured two protection groups (PG-A and PG-B) with long term protection only.

Scheduled both PG backup to run after 2 weeks with retention of 6 weeks.

Each PG has one member and inserted only a single free tape in physical tape library.

Manually started backup job for PG-A, that was successfully completed. Now started PG-B backup job that returned "Semaphore timeout error", also when i tried to erase this particular tape error was same.

Removed the tape from tape library and inserted a new one, started backup job for PG-B which was successfully completed. Started backup job for PG-A, failed with same error.

Deleted "co-location" and inserted two new tapes in tape library, backup jobs for both PG-A and PG-B was successfully completed on individual tapes.

Kindly let me know if anyone had the same issue and if there is a solution for it !!

I've been having the exact same issue.  I've been working with phone support but they've gotten pretty much nowhere at this point.  Issue only happens with co-location turned on but it doesn't happen right from the first write.  Generally I can get a couple of my Hyper-V vm's backed up then it will fail writing any further ones with semaphore timeouts.  I can eject the currently written tapes and write some more data fine before it happens again or turn co-location off altogether but that wastes lots of tapes.
    Monday, November 23, 2015 6:21 PM
  • Interesting....I actually just started getting this error this week as well.  Virtualized DPM server running 2012 R2 4.2.1338 with a physical tape library.  Everything worked fine up until Monday and then kaput! Errors all over the place!
    Yup, same thing here.  I wonder if the new UR broke something maybe...
    Monday, November 23, 2015 6:21 PM
  • Please let me know if you find the solution to it. 
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 4:56 AM
  • Any update?
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 5:30 AM
  • Nope nothing yet.  So far I've been having to run the jobs initially with co-location to get as much as I can onto a couple of tapes and then after the semaphore timeouts start I disable co-location and run the rest of the failed jobs to individual tapes.  Has been causing massive bloat in my tape usage and is very frustrating!
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 6:38 PM
  • Got the same Problem since Update to UR8 as soon as I use Tape Optimization these error comes up.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 2:02 PM
  • Been working on this with Microsoft since November and they are now coming back saying it is an issue with the tape library.  The problem I have with that is that this library works fine with multiple physical DPM servers....it is just the virtual two running via virtual fiber HBA that have this issue!
    Monday, January 25, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Any updates on this yet? I just P2V'd our physical DPM server and am now receiving this error. The VM can see and access the physical tape drive without issue. We had no problems at all when DPM was on a physical box.
    Monday, March 14, 2016 12:00 PM
  • Was anybody able to find a solution for this? I am facing the same error.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 9:07 AM