SBS 2011: "The server cannot find your router" RRS feed

• Question

• I am setting up SBS 2011 Standard.

My computer connects via USB to a Huawei 3G modem.  The driver installs nicely and I can connect manually (right click the adapter in Network Connections, select Connect) and access the Internet without problems.

Then when I come to the first task in the SBS Console, Connect to the Internet, it insists that I type in the router IP address of the internal interface of my router.  I have no router to the Internet as I am connecting directly.

I will be using the LAN port on my server to connect the internal clients.

I have this configuration running nicely (except that it must hang once a month) on SBS 2003 for a few years now.  I want to upgrade to SBS 2011 also because that server has some funny problem that prevents it from installing Windows Updates and as a result I am two years' behind on security updates.

How can I solve my problem?  Thanks.

Monday, March 14, 2011 3:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am afraid with SBS 2008/2011 you need a network attached router using TCP/IP. Both versions of SBS will also only support one network connection of any sort. To add to that SBS will only support private IP addressing with a 255.255.0 subnet mask. Do you have the option of installing a standard router between the Huawei router and the SBS. You may wish to review the supported network topology. The following is for SBS 2008 but also applies to 2011:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2010/02/26/returning-small-business-server-2008-to-a-supported-network-topology.aspx

Rob Williams

• Edited by Rob Williams [MVP] Monday, March 14, 2011 4:19 PM add link
    • Marked as answer by K.Kong Tuesday, March 15, 2011 6:16 AM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 4:16 PM
  • Thanks.  I could get a $30 router that takes a 3G modem, but that would reduce my mobility somewhat with the power supply and all the cables.

My scenario: small consulting company, semi-nomadic.  A few months at each customer's location.  Idea is to plonk the notebook with SBS 2011 every time we move.  We would have a full-blown IT infrastructure, with intranet traffic mostly internal, Internet access independent of customer, VPN when outside, etc etc.  The idea is not just for the SBS services, but also using it as a hands-on platform for SBS and Exchange.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:14 AM
  • I am afraid the router is a requirement. SBS 2008/2011 is very limited to network configuration, even more so than 2003. 2003 would allow 2 connections, could be different types, and  also public or private addressing. 2008/2011 is limited to one TCP/IP connection using private IP addressing.
    Rob Williams
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 3:20 AM