none
DPM 2016 - Lost disk storage, now not able to remove replica RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using DPM 2016. I deleted one of the disk storage. 

I had two protection groups using this disk storage. One protection group was backing up File shares and I was able to delete and recreate this group. 

But another protection group that I just created last night is backing up BMR and System State, I'm unable to perform the delete function.

- Protection status is Volume Missing.

My steps to delete the protection group in hopes to recreate it:

- Right click Protection group

- Stop protection of group

- Select "Delete protected data"

- Checkbox ON "Delete data source replicas from disk"

- Checkbox OFF "Expire all the datasets in the tapes"  (Tried other combinations of these two checkbox's settings)

Error:

Removing C:\ failed:

Error 40005: The specified storage is unusable as it is a system volume, has existing data, is in an unhealthy state or formatted incorrectly.

Recommended action: Ensure that the storage is healthy and mounted and then retry the operation

• Edited by sukh77 Friday, April 14, 2017 7:46 PM
    Friday, April 14, 2017 7:04 PM

All replies

• Stop the protection group without removing replicas from disk. DPM cannot remove replicas if the volume is missing.

MCSE, MCSA, MS, MCP, MCTS, System Engineer

Saturday, April 15, 2017 1:59 PM
  • Stop the protection group without removing replicas from disk. DPM cannot remove replicas if the volume is missing.

MCSE, MCSA, MS, MCP, MCTS, System Engineer

But it can't be recreated as that just triggers a consistency check, which fails because the replica is missing.
    Friday, April 28, 2017 10:03 PM
  • Hi,

Did you manage to fix this issue, currently even i am facing the same error.

Regards,

Sandeep

SANDEEP

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 9:50 AM
  • Hi Sandeep,

Have you tried stopping the Protection by retaining the data? Did it not work for you? Please share the error or screenshot for the same.

Regards
    Aayoosh Moitro

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Tuesday, July 28, 2020 11:12 AM
  • I had this same issue where I had a missing volume and was unable to stop protection of member. Checking "Delete replica on disk" or leaving it unchecked didn't work.  

I ended up running DPMSync.exe -sync from DPMManagementShell and was then able to Stop protection of member and Delete replica on disk after that completed.  After stopping protection and deleting replica on disk I was able to re add it to the protection group and backup again.

Thursday, August 13, 2020 5:26 PM