none
PWA site "An unexpected error has occurred" after reattaching to backup of DB in test and provisioning PWA site RRS feed

• Question

• I am following this article on reattaching in test to a backup copy of my prod Project Server DB.

http://azlav.umtblog.com/2011/06/09/project-server-2010-database-restore-part-ii/

I have 2 Server 2008 R2 VMs. One for SQL and the other with Sharepoint 2012 and Project Server 2010 loaded. I have reattached to backups of the Sharepoint DBs in test and my Sharepoint sites are working fine. I then reattached the Project DB and after I provisioned the PWA site I got either an "Access Denied" error or "an unexpected error has occurred" trying to load the page.

The only thing I did different than the article is I did not create a new Web Application in step 3 because I wanted it to be set up like prod. And in prod our PWA site is under Sharepoint - 80 so I figured I could just attach it there like it is in prod.  It doesn't seem like this theory would not work just because I attached it to an existing web app. I don't see anything in the logs other than this which I do not know get at all or even know if this has anything to do with it. Any ideas?

04/17/2012 15:32:52  1  INF            Resource retrieved id AdminVirtualServerParameterWindowsAuthenticationProviderHelp is The SharePoint Central Administration Web Application authentication provider is a global setting to the server farm.  When changing the authentication provider, a SharePoint Timer service job will be dispatched to synchronize the provider on all SharePoint Central Administration Web Applications in the server farm.  If {0} is specified, NTLM will be the exclusive authentication provider for all SharePoint Central Administration Web Applications.  All other authentication providers will be disabled and NTLM will be the only authentication provider allowed.  If {1} is specified, Kerberos authentication will be enabled for all SharePoint Central Administration Web Applications.  If an authentication provider is not specified, the provider used for existing SharePoint Central Administration Web Applications in the server farm will be used.  If a SharePoint Central Administration Web Application has not been provisioned in the server farm, then the Kerberos authentication provider will be enabled if an authentication provider is not specified.

Friday, October 5, 2012 11:34 PM

Answers

• Please check the SQL permissions for application pool account on content database and project databases

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, October 8, 2012 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

Yes, no problem with using  exisiting web application. What is authentication type in Prod and test?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful; if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 4:20 PM
  • I'm pretty sure they were all defaulted to NTLM & Classic Mode. I didn't set it up in prod. Can I check that in Central Admin?

Not that it would matter but I will mention I do not have the User Profile Service running. That is one of the things I want to do once I have the test environment working. I also have issues with crawling which were fixed in one test I did by applying Sharepoint SP1 which is also what I want to apply after I get the PWA site up.

I also keep seeing this error in the event log which is referencing my farm account. It has the dbcreator and securityadmin roles.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Foundation
    Date:          10/8/2012 12:00:04 AM
    Event ID:      5586
    Task Category: Database
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          DOMAIN\spssfa
    Description:
    Unknown SQL Exception 297 occurred. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

The user does not have permission to perform this action.

• Edited by normajean999 Monday, October 8, 2012 5:33 PM typo
    Monday, October 8, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Please check the SQL permissions for application pool account on content database and project databases

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Monday, October 8, 2012 5:20 PM
  • These are the accounts/perms on the DBs

ProjectServer_Content:
    SPSAPPA - db_owner
    SPSSFA - db_owner

ProjectServer_Archive:
    SPSAPPA - db_datareader, db_datawriter, ProjectServerRole

ProjectServer_Draft:
    PSAPPA - db_datareader, db_datawriter, ProjectServerRole

ProjectServer_Published:
    SPSAPPA - db_datareader, db_datawriter, ProjectServerRole

ProjectServer_Reporting:
    SPSAPPA - db_datareader, db_datawriter, db_ddladmin, ProjectServerRole

WSS_Content:
    SPSAPPA db_owner

Monday, October 8, 2012 6:36 PM
  • as per your earlier statement

"I have 2 Server 2008 R2 VMs. One for SQL and the other with SharePoint 2012 and Project Server 2010 loaded"

Are you using SharePoint 2012 and Project 2010?

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Monday, October 8, 2012 6:39 PM
  • Yes SharePoint 2012 and Project 2010 are on one VM, SQL08 on the other.
    Monday, October 8, 2012 7:55 PM
  • you need SharePoint 2010 Enterprise not 2012

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Monday, October 8, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Sorry you are correct. It's SharePoint 2010 Enterprise.
    Monday, October 8, 2012 8:57 PM
  • I was also getting "An unexpected error has occurred" after reattaching a backup of DB in test and provisioning PWA site. Fixing the permissions on the project databases fixed the error for me.

Thanks Hrishi!

Monday, July 1, 2013 4:14 PM
  • Cool, glad I could help.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, July 1, 2013 4:15 PM