none
Windows 10 Computer GPO not working but User GPO works fine. RRS feed

• Question

• Thank you for your input.

I'm attempting to deploy computer policy but am unable to. I am able to deploy user policy without issue.

Server 2012R2, Windows 10

I recently applied a GPO to a computer OU to schedule a task to have them shutdown at a specific time. I ensured to:

1. Link and enforce the policy at the specified computer OU.
    2. Ensured the scope included Authenticated User, Domain Computers (ensured target computer is a member) and Domain Users and that all have Read and Apply Group Policy permissions.
    3. Ensured the GPO Status was enabled.
    4. Ensured that the computer was in the correct OU.
    5. Ensured to create a GPO affecting the Computer Configuration not User Configuration.

However, when I run the Group Policy Modeling I receive the following error:

Group Policy Scheduled Tasks Failed 
    Group Policy Scheduled Tasks failed due to an error and failed to log Resultant Set of Policy information.
    Additional information may have been logged. Review the application event log on the domain controller on which the simulation was run for events...

The event logs provides the following information:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Group Policy Scheduled Tasks
    Date:          2/4/2018 10:12:21 AM
    Event ID:      8196
    Task Category: (2)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      ComputerName
    Description:
    The client-side extension caught the unhandled exception 'simulated execution of package to apply policy' inside: 'Access violation (0xc0000005) occurred at 0x86cd8c78; the memory at 0x000012e0 could not be read.' See trace file for more details.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Group Policy Scheduled Tasks" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="34305">8196</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-02-04T17:12:21.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>14937</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>ComputerName</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>simulated execution of package to apply policy</Data>
        <Data>Access violation (0xc0000005) occurred at 0x86cd8c78; the memory at 0x000012e0 could not be read.</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Running GPResult /R on a PC when policy is applied does not indicate policy was received.

Suggestions please.

Sunday, February 4, 2018 5:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Before we begin to troubleshoot, please let me know more information to clarify our issue, would you mind collecting the following information at your convenience? I appreciate your time and effort.

1. Does this issue happen to all Windows 10 clients or just this client in the OU? What’s the detailed OS version of the affected windows 10 clients?
    2. Except the scheduled tasks GPP, have you tried the other GPP settings?
    3. Please check if you have selected Scheduled Task (At least Windows 7):

For computers that are running Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8 and later, Scheduled Task (At least Windows 7) preference items let you create, replace, update, and delete tasks and their associated properties.

If the issue persists, we could try to enable gpsvc logging to see where the issue is happening, you could follow these steps to enable Group Policy Service debug logging. 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. 2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion 3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key. 4. Type Diagnostics, and then press ENTER. 5. Right-click the Diagnostics subkey, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value. 6. Type GPSvcDebugLevel, and then press ENTER. 7. Right-click GPSvcDebugLevel, and then click Modify. 8. In the Value data box, type 30002 (Hexadecimal), and then click OK. 9. View the Gpsvc.log file in the following folder: %windir%\debug\usermode. If the usermode folder does not exist, create it under %windir%\debug. If the usermode folder does not exist under %WINDIR%\debug\ the gpsvc.log file will not be created. 10. Do a “gpupdate /force” to trigger GPO processing or do a restart of the machine. 11. After that, check the log under: C:\Windows\Debug\Usermode\gpsvc.log

A Treatise on Group Policy Troubleshooting–now with GPSVC Log Analysis!

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2015/04/17/a-treatise-on-group-policy-troubleshootingnow-with-gpsvc-log-analysis/

Besides, we could also enable GPP tracing to troubleshoot the issue. Enable GPP tracing through group policy:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy\Logging and Tracing\Configure Scheduled Tasks preference logging and tracing

When configured, the log file will be created in:

%SystemDrive%\ProgramData\GroupPolicy\Preference\Trace\User.log

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 5, 2018 5:04 AM
  • William, thank you for your reply. I was able to figure out the issue. Pretty simple actually. First, user settings have to be placed on user OUs and computer directed policies have to be placed on computer OUs. When running GPResult /r I was not able to view the policies pushed to the computer. Reason? because I was logging in as the user to view the policies recieved, however the user was not delegated the ability to see their own computer-side RSoP data. After adding authenticated users as a delegate at the domain level and apply within GPMC, and "This container and all child containers" from the permissions dropdown the issue was resolved.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 12:39 AM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

Please remember to mark useful reply as answer, which would be much more efficient for other forum community members to find useful information.

Best Regards,

William

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 10:39 AM
  • Hi William,

I have the same issue where computer group policies are not getting applied, whereas user policies are getting applied. I am unable to do this test what you asked the other person to do is because this is a virtual desktop and the system drive is a vdisk. 

I am actually trying to get group policies for user profile applied to a citrix desktop and it is not getting applied. Gpresults show only user policies. Any suggetions? This is a Windows 10 Build 1803.

Thank you in advance

AA2913

Monday, June 10, 2019 6:47 PM
  • Do what was proposed above.  Worked for me.

After adding authenticated users as a delegate (Under read group policy results option) at the domain level and apply within GPMC, and "This container and all child containers" from the permissions dropdown the issue was resolved.

Dave

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 6:24 PM
  • Hi William,

I have the same issue where computer group policies are not getting applied, whereas user policies are getting applied. I am unable to do this test what you asked the other person to do is because this is a virtual desktop and the system drive is a vdisk. 

I am actually trying to get group policies for user profile applied to a citrix desktop and it is not getting applied. Gpresults show only user policies. Any suggetions? This is a Windows 10 Build 1803.

Thank you in advance

AA2913

Hi,

Please run gpresult command in a privileged CMD prompt, or collect the result by GPMC console.

Best Regards,

William

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 2:18 AM