none
Can't access Internet even though everything seems to work RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with my Windows 7 Internet connection. 

The problem is:

Both (wired and wireless) connections have IP address provided by DHCP, subnet mask and default gateway and they both seem to be working fine, but I can't access the internet.

Both my roommates have internet access with no problems, and the router password has not been changed.

I have restarted the modem and no luck.

I have restarted the router and no luck.

I have restarted the computer and nothing.

I have disabled and deleted both network adapters, and re-installed them and no luck.

I did ipconfig and I can see al the configuration and it looks fine.

I did ipconfig /release  and ipconfig /renew and no luck.

I have McAfee's firewall, but it's working fine and doesn't say anything about viruses

Any ideas what else I can do? I really wouldn't like to format my machine...

Monday, August 27, 2012 5:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try:

1 - Open command prompt as Administrator by clicking on Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > (Right Click) Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator

2 - Run the following command: netsh winsock reset   and press enter

3 - Reboot the PC

4 - When rebooted as per Step 1, Open command prompt in Admin mode

5 - Run the following command: ipconfig /flushdns

Kind Regards,

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

• Proposed as answer by STDNS Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke ChouModerator Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:06 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 11:41 PM
  • You might try disabling or uninstalling McAfee's firewall.  Appears to be a number of users reporting similar issues in McAfee's forums recently.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/251649

Monday, August 27, 2012 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

First of all, you should make sure if the router can get a public IP address,  this information can be found at your router.

If yes, there is no problem with your router. Try to Ping from your Windows 7 client to your gateway.

If Ping is no problem, try to refresh your DNS. Please open your CMD with administrator right and type the command “ipconfig /flushdns”.

If the issue persist after all the suggestion, please set your DNS manually for check. Please right click network icon>Open network and share center>

Chang adapter settings>Select local Area Connection>Properties>Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)>check under “Use the following DNS server addresses>Type 8.8.8.8 in Preferred DNS server and alternate DNS server>OK

Finally, please make sure there are no issues with your ISP. Making a call to your ISP is also need.

Your Name

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:31 AM

All replies

• You might try disabling or uninstalling McAfee's firewall.  Appears to be a number of users reporting similar issues in McAfee's forums recently.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/251649

Monday, August 27, 2012 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

Try:

1 - Open command prompt as Administrator by clicking on Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > (Right Click) Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator

2 - Run the following command: netsh winsock reset   and press enter

3 - Reboot the PC

4 - When rebooted as per Step 1, Open command prompt in Admin mode

5 - Run the following command: ipconfig /flushdns

Kind Regards,

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

• Proposed as answer by STDNS Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Juke ChouModerator Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:06 PM
    Monday, August 27, 2012 11:41 PM
  • Hi,

First of all, you should make sure if the router can get a public IP address,  this information can be found at your router.

If yes, there is no problem with your router. Try to Ping from your Windows 7 client to your gateway.

If Ping is no problem, try to refresh your DNS. Please open your CMD with administrator right and type the command “ipconfig /flushdns”.

If the issue persist after all the suggestion, please set your DNS manually for check. Please right click network icon>Open network and share center>

Chang adapter settings>Select local Area Connection>Properties>Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)>check under “Use the following DNS server addresses>Type 8.8.8.8 in Preferred DNS server and alternate DNS server>OK

Finally, please make sure there are no issues with your ISP. Making a call to your ISP is also need.

Your Name

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:31 AM