Verizon USB720 modem RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought an Acer Aspire 5050 laptop with Vista Home Basic loaded. I live in a rural area (7 miles to the nearest Walmart) so I invested in a Verizon USB720 usb modem. It works great,speedwise, 95% of the time,it does have slow periods. Even at the slowest times it is still faster than dial-up.

When I first started using it on my Acer it worked fine, but after a month I started getting an error message saying it was not configured properly or the modem was already in use.

What could cause this?
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 3:25 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

The problem you encountered is a little complex. Many possibilities may lead to this issue. In general, the manufacturer of the modem should be the best support resource.

I’d love to list some steps for you to narrow down the problem’s scope:

1.    Check the connectivity between the model and USB port. Try to connect it via another USB port.

2.    Uninstall and disconnect the modem. Then connect it and install the latest driver downloaded from manufacturer’s website.

3.    Try to use it in another computer (if possible, choose one running Windows Vista). If it doesn’t work, the device is very possibly damaged.

4.    Run modem diagnostics to check the possible problem.

Control Panel – Hardware and Sound – Phone and Modem Options – in Modem tab, right-click the modem and select Properties - If the default speed is not already set, set the Maximum Port speed to 57600 - Click the Diagnostic tabClick the Diagnostic tab Click Query Modem

If the modem responds and it is functioning, the system displays the modem information. If the message "No Hardware ID Found" is displayed, or if you receive an error message, contact the OEM/manufacturer of your computer for help with troubleshooting the modem errors.

If I misunderstood anything,  please let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, November 16, 2007 10:27 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for your post!

The problem you encountered is a little complex. Many possibilities may lead to this issue. In general, the manufacturer of the modem should be the best support resource.

I’d love to list some steps for you to narrow down the problem’s scope:

1.    Check the connectivity between the model and USB port. Try to connect it via another USB port.

2.    Uninstall and disconnect the modem. Then connect it and install the latest driver downloaded from manufacturer’s website.

3.    Try to use it in another computer (if possible, choose one running Windows Vista). If it doesn’t work, the device is very possibly damaged.

4.    Run modem diagnostics to check the possible problem.

Control Panel – Hardware and Sound – Phone and Modem Options – in Modem tab, right-click the modem and select Properties - If the default speed is not already set, set the Maximum Port speed to 57600 - Click the Diagnostic tabClick the Diagnostic tab Click Query Modem

If the modem responds and it is functioning, the system displays the modem information. If the message "No Hardware ID Found" is displayed, or if you receive an error message, contact the OEM/manufacturer of your computer for help with troubleshooting the modem errors.

If I misunderstood anything,  please let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, November 16, 2007 10:27 AM
  • I have a similar problem with Verizon modem 727. I tried your suggestions but

my sony vio laptop with vista business still says the device is in use. i have tried verizon support for 5 hours without any success. i hope you can help me.

Monday, May 26, 2008 6:30 AM