Sticky Notes not able to start afresh? RRS feed

• Question

• When logging in as a user the dialog box 'Not able to start afresh. Please refer help for more details.(Quit)' comes up, this is just running as a user, if I launch the application as an administrator it works fine. I shall mention that this is using Roaming profiles (if that should make a difference). I've tried giving rights to users, more permissions, but nothing seems to work unless running as an administrator, so by this I can see that the application is not corrupt. I've also come across the error 'Sticky Notes failed to initialize', but this is less frequent. This happens on startup everytime.. I have also tried the sfc.exe but the results from that came back fine. All machines receive this error, they were recently upgraded to Windows 7 Professional 32bit...Hope someone can help, :)

Thanks,

Chris.

Thursday, July 5, 2012 11:26 AM

Answers

• You could try a shim. Download the Microsoft ACT tool and then point the tool at the Gadget and create a RunAsAdmin shim. I wouldn't really consider this though, if I was you I'd just find a gadget that works since most would have been developed for Vista and Windows 7 in which UAC were present.

You could also try allowing Full Control permissions on the Windows Sidebar folder under C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files depending on if you use 32-bit or 64-bit..

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Edited by RorymonMVP Thursday, July 5, 2012 4:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, July 29, 2012 2:26 PM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:59 PM

All replies

• When logging in as a user the dialog box 'Not able to start afresh. Please refer help for more details.(Quit)' comes up, this is just running as a user, if I launch the application as an administrator it works fine. I shall mention that this is using Roaming profiles (if that should make a difference). I've tried giving rights to users, more permissions, but nothing seems to work unless running as an administrator, so by this I can see that the application is not corrupt. I've also come across the error 'Sticky Notes failed to initialize', but this is less frequent. This happens on startup everytime.. I have also tried the sfc.exe but the results from that came back fine. All machines receive this error, they were recently upgraded to Windows 7 Professional 32bit...Hope someone can help, :)

Thanks,

Chris.

Try This:

Right Click on Computer --> Manage --> Local Users and Groups --> Double Click on your User --> Member of --> Add ---> Administrator --> ok

log off and log in again 

Regards,

MCT / MCITP / MCTS / MCSA / C|EH

Thursday, July 5, 2012 12:44 PM
  • Thanks, I will give this solution a try when I am next at the computers.

Many thanks,

Chris

Chris...

Thursday, July 5, 2012 1:24 PM
  • Just realised, I've already tried adding them to the member of administrators...

Chris.

Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:46 PM
  • You could try a shim. Download the Microsoft ACT tool and then point the tool at the Gadget and create a RunAsAdmin shim. I wouldn't really consider this though, if I was you I'd just find a gadget that works since most would have been developed for Vista and Windows 7 in which UAC were present.

You could also try allowing Full Control permissions on the Windows Sidebar folder under C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files depending on if you use 32-bit or 64-bit..

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Edited by RorymonMVP Thursday, July 5, 2012 4:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Sunday, July 29, 2012 2:26 PM
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:59 PM
  • Hi,

Let me know which files are needed by Sticky Notes under profile path?

Friday, July 6, 2012 9:40 AM
  • Thanks Rorymon, I think i'll try a Shim, if not I'll just find another gadget :).

Thanks alot

Monday, July 30, 2012 7:21 AM
  • hi Las, I do not get the LOCAL USERS AND GROUPS option in the Manage column.  Also cannot change account from account manager to general account.

pls advise

thnx

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Hi geraa48,

tha Local Users and Group not included in Windows 7 Home. , But you can use this steps:

Start ---> Run... ---> Control UserPasswordS2 ---> Properties ---> Group Membership ---> Change The Standard to Administrator

Regards.

MCT / MCITP / MCTS / MCSA / MCSE / C|EH

Thursday, December 27, 2012 12:28 PM