none
MIM 2016 and aad connect RRS feed

• Question

• hi all, 

Does MIM 2016 include a built-in management agent for Azure AD or will we still require to have a separate installation of aad connect for OFfice 365 and Azure AD synchronization?

thanks

MM

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 12:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• There is a MA (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn511001(v=ws.10).aspx) for that, but i think Azure AD Connect (or it predecessors) is used more often. You can compare them here https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/active-directory-aadconnect-get-started-tools-comparison/
    • Marked as answer by KhouM Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:02 PM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 12:44 PM
  • In Addition to Gaston's post:

The FIM/MIM Connect for Azure AD (WAAD Connector) is no longer recommended for new deployments, since it will not get any updates. There are already missing some Features like User Writeback and Password Writeback for example.

It is still supported for use, but I would not recommend to use that, if you can do it with AADC

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:21 PM
  • Adding to that - in advanced scenarion, Microsoft reccomends to use both - MIM to clean on-premise AD and then AADConnect to sync wițh cloud.

If you found my post helpful, please give it a Helpful vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an Answer.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:19 PM
  • my scenario is the following: 

- forest 1 with on-premise Exchange (users@domain1.com)

- forest 2 with on-premise Exchange (users@domain2.com)

- Office 365 tenant (users@domain3.com): no aad sync

the requirement is to synchronize the GAL among the 3 setups. i would use GAlsync in MIM to synchronize GAls between forest 1 and forest 2. then should i use a separate installation of aad connect to sync the GAL of every forest with office 365?

MM

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:11 PM
  • You can simply use AADConnect to have users from both forests in the same tenant - AADConnect supports multi-forest scenario.

But it wouldn't help you with GAL synchronization between forests if you wish to do so.

If you found my post helpful, please give it a Helpful vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an Answer.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:24 AM
  • Since in normal GALSync scenario you need the have the users of the source forest as contacts in the destination forest you can consider using MIM with 2 AD connectors for the to onPrem forests and the Powershell connector for O365.

Get the users from a 3 MAs then and import them as contacts into the MV.

Provision/Synchronize that the missing contacts to the 3 datasources.

Since you don't really need to sync your users with AADC if I read your reqiurements correctly.
    So AADC seems to not fit you solution.

/Peter

Peter Stapf - ExpertCircle GmbH - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 7:05 PM
  • Microsoft reccomends to use both - MIM to clean on-premise AD and then AADConnect to sync wițh cloud.

I'm working on a complex Azure AD Project and am trying to confirm this design recommendation.

Is there anything from Microsoft to support this? 

Thanks

Josh

Thursday, July 26, 2018 3:57 PM