adding x86 printer drivers to x64 print server RRS feed

• Question

• When attempting to install X86 inbox print drivers to an X64 W2K8 print server, the drivers are not found.  Where do I locate the X86 inbox print drivers on an X64 W2K8 Server?
    Tyler McLaughlin
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Please understand that we need to manually install 32bit drivers on a Windows 64bit 2008 printer server since the 32bit drivers are not stored on 64bit server.

In this case, I suggest we first contact the printer manufacturer to check if the appropriate driver is available. If so, please download it to the printer server.

After that, please try the following two methods to install the additional printer driver.

Method 1 (Preferred):

Step 1. Share a x64 print queue out

==============================
    On the x64 Windows Vista RTM/SP1 or a x64 Windows Server 2008 RTM
    Login with the Domain Administrator account or Local Admin account
    Click on Start, Control Panel, Printers, Press the ALT button or Click on Organize, Layout, Menu Bar
    Click on File
    Click on Run as administrator
    Click on Add Printer...
    Choose "Add a local printer" or "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer"

And go through the rest of the steps to install a printer and make sure that you share it for example PrintShare1.

Step 2. Add the x86 print driver

On a x86 Windows Vista RTM/SP1 or a x86 Windows Server 2008 RTM
    Login with the Domain Administrator account
    Click on Start, \\x64W2K8 PrintServer (or a x64 Vista acting as a Print Server)
    Double click on "Printers"
    Right click on the PrintShare1
    Click on the "Sharing" tab
    Click on the "Additional Drivers..."
    Check the box for 'x86 Type 3 - User Mode'
    Click on Ok
    Click on Close

Method 2 (Alternate):

On a x64 Windows Vista RTM/SP1 or a x64 Windows Server 2008 RTM
    Click on Start, Control Panel
    Double click on Printers
    Press the ALT button

or

Click on Organize, Layout, Menu Bar
    Click on File, Run as administrator, Server Properties...
    Click on the Drivers tab
    Click on Add...
    Click on Next
    Uncheck the 'x64 Type 3 - User Mode'
    Check the 'x86 Type 3 - User Mode'
    Click on Have Disk...
    Click on Browse... (to the x86 (32-bit) machine)
    \\x86W2K8\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prn*.inf_{GUID}

or

\\x86Vista\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prn*.inf_{GUID}

For example: \\x86W2K8\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prnhp001.inf_5fecfc5e\prnhp001.inf

Click on Open
    Click on Ok
    Under "Printers"
    Select the print driver that you want to install
    Click on Next
    Click on Finish
    Now you should be able to see the x86 print drivers installed under the "Processor" column.
    Click on Close

For your reference, here is some useful information about managing printer driver.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732946.aspx

Does it work?

If this issue still persists, please collect the MPSReport from the Windows 64bit 2008 printer server.

1. Download proper MPS Report tool from the website below.

Microsoft Product Support Reports

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en 

2. Double-click to run it, if requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General", <and other necessary catalog>, click Next.

3. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results", choose a folder to save <Computername>MPSReports.cab file.

Please send the files to me directly at tfwst@microsoft.com

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:58 AM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

Please understand that we need to manually install 32bit drivers on a Windows 64bit 2008 printer server since the 32bit drivers are not stored on 64bit server.

In this case, I suggest we first contact the printer manufacturer to check if the appropriate driver is available. If so, please download it to the printer server.

After that, please try the following two methods to install the additional printer driver.

Method 1 (Preferred):

Step 1. Share a x64 print queue out

On the x64 Windows Vista RTM/SP1 or a x64 Windows Server 2008 RTM
    Login with the Domain Administrator account or Local Admin account
    Click on Start, Control Panel, Printers, Press the ALT button or Click on Organize, Layout, Menu Bar
    Click on File
    Click on Run as administrator
    Click on Add Printer...
    Choose "Add a local printer" or "Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer"

And go through the rest of the steps to install a printer and make sure that you share it for example PrintShare1.

Step 2. Add the x86 print driver

On a x86 Windows Vista RTM/SP1 or a x86 Windows Server 2008 RTM
    Login with the Domain Administrator account
    Click on Start, \\x64W2K8 PrintServer (or a x64 Vista acting as a Print Server)
    Double click on "Printers"
    Right click on the PrintShare1
    Click on the "Sharing" tab
    Click on the "Additional Drivers..."
    Check the box for 'x86 Type 3 - User Mode'
    Click on Ok
    Click on Close

Method 2 (Alternate):

On a x64 Windows Vista RTM/SP1 or a x64 Windows Server 2008 RTM
    Click on Start, Control Panel
    Double click on Printers
    Press the ALT button

or

Click on Organize, Layout, Menu Bar
    Click on File, Run as administrator, Server Properties...
    Click on the Drivers tab
    Click on Add...
    Click on Next
    Uncheck the 'x64 Type 3 - User Mode'
    Check the 'x86 Type 3 - User Mode'
    Click on Have Disk...
    Click on Browse... (to the x86 (32-bit) machine)
    \\x86W2K8\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prn*.inf_{GUID}

or

\\x86Vista\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prn*.inf_{GUID}

For example: \\x86W2K8\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\prnhp001.inf_5fecfc5e\prnhp001.inf

Click on Open
    Click on Ok
    Under "Printers"
    Select the print driver that you want to install
    Click on Next
    Click on Finish
    Now you should be able to see the x86 print drivers installed under the "Processor" column.
    Click on Close

For your reference, here is some useful information about managing printer driver.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732946.aspx

Does it work?

If this issue still persists, please collect the MPSReport from the Windows 64bit 2008 printer server.

1. Download proper MPS Report tool from the website below.

Microsoft Product Support Reports

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en 

2. Double-click to run it, if requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General", <and other necessary catalog>, click Next.

3. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results", choose a folder to save <Computername>MPSReports.cab file.

Please send the files to me directly at tfwst@microsoft.com

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Wednesday, June 17, 2009 7:58 AM
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

I just want to check if the information provided was helpful. If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let me know.

We are looking forward to your reply.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 9:00 AM
  • Thank you Miles - it does make sense and does work.

- Tyler
    Tyler McLaughlin
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:25 PM
  • Hi Tyler,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am glad to hear that this issue has been resolved.

Please feel free to post thread on our TechNet Forum if you encounter any issue. I hope you enjoy it.

Many Thanks

Wednesday, June 17, 2009 12:59 AM
  • Hi all,

I have solved the problem...

Its necesary the folder ntprint.infxxxx stored in x86 windows 2008 server
     \\x86W2K8\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\ntprint.infxxxx

When i add the x86 drivers in the w2008 x64 He asks for the file ntprint.inf. I select him and the drivers works perfectly.

Thanks all.
    • Edited by muralla Tuesday, July 14, 2009 10:47 AM
    Monday, July 13, 2009 6:07 PM
  • I do not see this file you mention.  I see the following two folders: (and within them therer are print.inf files which I've attempted pointing to from x64 server but still have same problem)

ntprint.inf_d88a2c5d
    ntprint.inf_fceaf475
    Tyler McLaughlin
    Friday, July 17, 2009 4:15 PM
  • Question??

Its necesary the folder ntprint.infxxxx stored in x86 windows 2008 server
     \\x86W2K8\c$\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\ntprint.infxxxx

So do you need the media for x86W2K8 ntprint.infXXXXX???? How do you browse to it if you are on a Windows 64 bit 2008 O/S?
    Monday, July 20, 2009 7:25 PM
  • This does not work. Downloaded several windows server 2008 drivers for 32 bit hp laserjet 5000 and it will not accept any of them.

This is very frustrating as we are doing a NOS migration from novell 6.5 to windows 2008 64 bit. Msoft keeps repeating the same basic answer that everyone is posting does not work.

When I try to load the 32 bit driver it says "The specified location does not contain the driver HP LaserJet 5000 Series PCL 5 for the requested processor architecture."

I've pulled down all three hp 2008 server 32 bit versions. Neither works.

Maybe your explanations are lost in translation but this is very frustrating after pulling a full weekend migrating the data, setting up everything and to have this being the only piece that won't work.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 10:45 PM
  • Dear Miles,

I followed your procedure to add an additional x86 print driver from an x86 Vista client to the Win2008 x64 print server and it worked. (note - missing step was to share the entire c drive of the x86 client so the server could get to it.) However this only supports other x86 Vista clients - not x86 XP clients.
    How do you add additional drivers to support x86 XP clients?

thanks in advance,
    catherine
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:22 PM
  • To Miles Zhang

The first solution (Method 1) did not work in my case on Windows 2008 SP2 (installing x86 print drivers from Windows 2008 SE x86 SP2 to Windows 2008 DE x64 SP2).

But x86 print driver installation from Windows 2003 x86 SP2 was successful  (installing x86 print drivers from Windows 2003 SE x86 SP2 to Windows 2008 DE x64 SP2)

Aleksandrs
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 10:02 AM
  • This does not work. Downloaded several windows server 2008 drivers for 32 bit hp laserjet 5000 and it will not accept any of them.

This is very frustrating as we are doing a NOS migration from novell 6.5 to windows 2008 64 bit. Msoft keeps repeating the same basic answer that everyone is posting does not work.

When I try to load the 32 bit driver it says "The specified location does not contain the driver HP LaserJet 5000 Series PCL 5 for the requested processor architecture."

I've pulled down all three hp 2008 server 32 bit versions. Neither works.

Maybe your explanations are lost in translation but this is very frustrating after pulling a full weekend migrating the data, setting up everything and to have this being the only piece that won't work.

Getting the exact same issue (the only difference is we're using WS2008R2) and not able to find a solution ANYWHERE. Anyone?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:21 PM
  • Same problem here. Windows 2008 x86 (R1) server. Trying to set up XP 32bit PC to be able to print using the printer connected to the server.

Each attempt at adding 32 HP drivers to the server yields the error "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems."

I suspect that the 32 bit drivers are incompatible with x64, but the x64 server print management console should have a way of installing them for x86 PCs, especially since it displays a function to do this.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 1:31 PM
  • I struggled with a similar sort of problem.  Here's my post on it:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/54d322ba-a48c-46b3-999a-319247bc9454/

• Proposed as answer by TrippinA Monday, March 14, 2011 9:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by TrippinA Monday, March 14, 2011 9:54 PM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 4:15 AM
  • I know this is a few years late,

However I changed the Printer drivers to Generic\Text Only.  After doing this I was able to install the printers.

Good luck!

Thursday, June 16, 2011 2:49 AM
  • This is driving me CRAZY!!!

I have a 2008 64bit server R2 and using printer managment to share out printers.  Printers load fine with the UPDs.  But when I go to the client boxes they are DENIED and all the crud out there they say to do, I HAVE DONE.

This is rediculous.!!!!  

Anyway... willing to try changing the drivers to generic/text only, how do you do that?

this sucks!!!!!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 4:28 PM
  • Tutorial :

How to add new 32bit driver to a windows 2008 64bit printer server

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/doli/archive/2011/05/15/how-to-add-new-32bit-driver-to-a-windows-2008-64bit-printer-server.aspx

Wednesday, August 24, 2011 6:40 AM
  • For everyone who is still searching for a solution for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003...

Most of you probably will not only need 32-bit (x86) drivers for Vista and/or Windows 7 and 2008, but for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003. The solution is simple - these OS also include drivers for a lot of printers and there is a chance you have the driver in the OS already. To attach it to the printer on the x64 machine, do the same as in the answer, but from a computer running one of these operating systems. This way you will be able to add the driver for 2000/XP/2003. Please note that in 2008 the driver is still shown as "Type 3 - User Mode", so it seems there is no way to tell if the driver is for XP or Vista/7. Also, this is displayed differently on the 2000/XP/2003 systems.

If you do not have the driver included in the OS, you will still have to provide the driver from the manufacturer, since these old versions of Windows do not have the "Windows Update" option as a button in the dialog.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:45 PM
  • Awesome.. this works for me.
    Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:54 PM
  • Method 1 worked for us (server 64: 2012 R2, pc 32: Win8).

Thanks!

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 10:02 AM