Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38) The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory. RRS feed

• Question

• I have this problem:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

The driver could not be loaded because a previous version of the driver is still in memory.

and now I am not able to connect any usb device to my laptop making it virtually impossible to use windows 10.

How do I downgrade to windows 7,have enough of the beta testing.

I even have a purchased version of windows 10 pro which I really regret buying, worst investment ever.

Sunday, May 8, 2016 5:29 AM

Answers

• The issue could be in the registry.

In the Device Manager can you right-click the device giving the Code 38 error > Properties > Details, then choose "Class Guid" from the drop-down menu under "Property".

What is listed under "Value

Sunday, May 8, 2016 3:23 PM
  • Hi Killerappie,

According to your description, I’m understand your question and would try my best to help you solve the question. Firstly, we could run the Hardware troubleshooting tool to check. Open Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Troubleshooting>Hardware and Sound>Hardware and Devices. After that we could reboot. If it doesn’t work, I suggest that we could completely remove the current driver and install the newest driver available. Please check the link below about how to update drivers.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-hardware/updating-a-driver/a5e6345e-af9b-4099-bef0-8d22254aa1c1?tm=1436753520149

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 11:26 AM

All replies

• The issue could be in the registry.

In the Device Manager can you right-click the device giving the Code 38 error > Properties > Details, then choose "Class Guid" from the drop-down menu under "Property".

What is listed under "Value

Sunday, May 8, 2016 3:23 PM
  • Hi Killerappie,

According to your description, I’m understand your question and would try my best to help you solve the question. Firstly, we could run the Hardware troubleshooting tool to check. Open Control Panel>All Control Panel Items>Troubleshooting>Hardware and Sound>Hardware and Devices. After that we could reboot. If it doesn’t work, I suggest that we could completely remove the current driver and install the newest driver available. Please check the link below about how to update drivers.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-hardware/updating-a-driver/a5e6345e-af9b-4099-bef0-8d22254aa1c1?tm=1436753520149

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 11:26 AM