none
add print server in Print Management in Workgroup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am working in a Work-group environment. Using windows - > Administrative tools -> Print Management utility

I am trying to add another PC in same Work-group as a print server inside Print Management utility but failed.

I tried adding by IP address of another PC and by host name.  Is it possible to add a Work-Group PC as print server to this MS utility ? if no please suggest some open source app for managing printer, print queues etc.

I have just couple of printers to manage in work-group environment.  Thanks

Monday, January 6, 2020 4:22 PM

Answers

• HI
    1.did you consider configure one printer server on w2012 or w2016 server and install all tcp/ip printers on it then share them to all your workgroup computers?
    we can enter \\printer server ip addess  in explorer on win10 client computer then double click and add these shared printers like picture.

for this condition ,we only need to manage one printer server.
    How to Install and Configure Print Server and Network Printer Windows Server 2016
    https://www.avoiderrors.com/install-configure-print-server-windows/
    Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

2.how many computers in your environemt and how many printers in your environment ?
    3.are all client computer os system win10 ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 10:26 AM
  • HI

“I have approx 15 PCs in my work-group, no servers. I have a mix-variety of approx. 5 or 6 printers.”"all print devices are on network "
    if all 15 client computers in the same workgroup ,I also think we can install all 6 printers on one windows win10 computer then share these printers to other your 15 computers.we only need to remote access this one printer server(win10) then manage printers,did you conside this solution ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by sunnyimran Friday, January 24, 2020 1:35 PM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2020 2:27 PM

All replies

• Hi sunnyimran,

I'm wondering why you want to add a PC as print server.
    If your printers can be connected via ethernet (wired LAN), all Work-Group PCs can use them.

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- http://hokusosha.com

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 1:50 AM
  • Yes, all my printers are connected through Ethernet LAN and each client can. I am using more than three PC's in my work-group as printing stations. Each of them has multiple printers installed and usually multiple print queues are spooled on them. Sometimes I need to redirect one printers whole spool to another printer in case that printer is down for management. Sometimes I need to print a queue with another printer driver. for such things I need to go to the PC where that spools/printers are installed. I want to simplify these print management tasks by running MS 'Print Management utility' on one of the PC and add in it other PC's from where printing is being carried out. Currently I am doing all these tasks by either going to those PC's or by Remote Desktop to those PC's There are many print management software but my need if just limited to those simple tasks. Any ideas to simplify my print management tasks in such scenario? Suggestions are welcomed
    Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:14 AM
  • Hi sunnyimran,

I have eight 7 PCs in my home (for myself and my family) and using VNC software for controlling them remotely. There are three printers there and they are connected through Ethernet LAN with fixed IP address. All of PCs have all printers installed.
    While a certain printer is down, I control a PC through VNC and print a document to another printer.  I don't need to switch/exchange one print spool to another.
    (Sorry, my poor explanation)   

Maybe I cannot understand your actual situation.
    How many PCs use the printing stations?

Regards,

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 9:46 AM
  • HI
    1.did you consider configure one printer server on w2012 or w2016 server and install all tcp/ip printers on it then share them to all your workgroup computers?
    we can enter \\printer server ip addess  in explorer on win10 client computer then double click and add these shared printers like picture.

for this condition ,we only need to manage one printer server.
    How to Install and Configure Print Server and Network Printer Windows Server 2016
    https://www.avoiderrors.com/install-configure-print-server-windows/
    Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

2.how many computers in your environemt and how many printers in your environment ?
    3.are all client computer os system win10 ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 10:26 AM
  • Hi sunnyimran,

I have eight 7 PCs in my home (for myself and my family) and using VNC software for controlling them remotely. There are three printers there and they are connected through Ethernet LAN with fixed IP address. All of PCs have all printers installed.
    While a certain printer is down, I control a PC through VNC and print a document to another printer.  I don't need to switch/exchange one print spool to another.
    (Sorry, my poor explanation)   

Maybe I cannot understand your actual situation.
    How many PCs use the printing stations?

Regards,

Thanks for the suggestion but I think I am already doing similar by Remote Desktop. I need some more flexible solution than this. I do not want to connect another PC only for managing printers stuff and while I would be connecting remotely, other user might be at work on that PC being on remote.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 5:40 PM
  • I have approx 15 PCs in my work-group, no servers. I have a mix-variety of approx. 5 or 6 printers. Although all print devices are on network and all PCs can directly print to them but I have dedicated 3 PC's as printing stations.  On these print stations I have made multiple printers installed for same physical printer resulting in multiple print queues for each physical print device. This helps in spooling print docs and keep them spooled while other queue is printing on same printer. similar configuration on other two print stations. All mix and mesh. sometimes I need to move spooled jobs to other printer if one Print device is low on supplies etc. So we are using multiple printers in multiple ways on multiple PC's. 

For such scenario adding a Win Server OS is a viable solution. I already thought about it but then should I purchase a server OS for this and that may need Server grade hardware platform or should I pick some professional print management utility software from many of those already out there. This all would add some extra cost to solution. All I just need is not any sophisticated solution but just an easy way of managing. So I thought about using MS built-in 'Print management' utility. Problem is that in work-group it does not accept other PCs to be added as print server to it. If so, all printers would come under one utility from there I can do at ease which I am doing manually so far.

suggestions are welcomed

Tuesday, January 7, 2020 6:05 PM
  • HI

“I have approx 15 PCs in my work-group, no servers. I have a mix-variety of approx. 5 or 6 printers.”"all print devices are on network "
    if all 15 client computers in the same workgroup ,I also think we can install all 6 printers on one windows win10 computer then share these printers to other your 15 computers.we only need to remote access this one printer server(win10) then manage printers,did you conside this solution ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

• Marked as answer by sunnyimran Friday, January 24, 2020 1:35 PM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2020 2:27 PM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, January 12, 2020 2:22 PM
  • HI

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Yeah that seems a possibility. Because I think I am stuck in between. The flexibility I want requires a Win Server OS while I have strict budgets at the time. So middle solution is to dedicate one system as printing management task and RDP to that. 

I am a Windows guy but also considering to experiment on some Linux distros if I can get a user friendly utility without playing with scripts.

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:40 PM
  • HI

Thanks for your reply. 
    "
    he flexibility I want requires a Win Server OS while I have strict budgets at the time. "
    Yes ,you are right.
    If there is any reply that helps you, could please you help me mark it as an answer so that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly ? Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, January 15, 2020 1:45 AM
  • HI
    Is there anything to help you?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Thursday, January 23, 2020 3:02 AM