We cant connect to the server for presenting right now, Error code 141 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

until recently powerpoint presentation have been working fine for both of our sites (US and Europe).

Since last couple of days it stopped working for US site. Europe site works fine. They share same WAC server. It works if they are connected externally. So only internal fails for US site. Internal and external works fine for Europe site.

Network department say no changes have been done for US site...

I found a great article explaining WAC discovery and powerpoint presentation process: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/praj/2015/04/14/troubleshooting-office-web-app-server-integration-with-lync-server-2013/

This have been done:

Restarted Frontend, SQL and Edge server for US site and also WAC server whithout any help.

Restarting Webconference service on the frontend gives me event ID that WAC discovery has succeeded with correct URLs.

I can browse /hosting/discovery fine from issue computers.

If I use Fidler to trace traffic, I cannot see that it is getting the WAC url. If I do it on a user in Europe site, they get the url and powerpoint presentation works fine.

Start-CsCLSLogging -Scenario WAC does not give/show any errors.

Neither does local lync log using snooper.

On the monitoring I see it generates the following error:

54001; reason="Connection to the Web Conferencing Server could be established, but the server terminated immediately

I have tried to turn off the firewall on Frontend,Edge,SQL and WAC server without any help.

According to Skype network poster, Powerpoint presentation should only use port 443?

Some LS Data MCU log also refer to port 8061 and 8060, are these used for Powerpoint/conferencing as well?

On the Europe site, I can telnet port 8061 to Frontend servers fine, but in US it fails to connect.

netstat -an tcp |find port "8061" doesn't show that it listens to that port at all. It does in Europe site.

Since firewall is disable, it shouldn't mather?

As far as I know, its the application that will trigger port listening. All SFB services are started, so what else will trigger for the server to listen to port 8061 or 8060?

I have even reinstalled WAC server (using remove-officewebappmachine) without any help. I don't think its issue with WAC server, since it works for Europe site. Its only US site that is having this issue when on internal network.

Thanks!

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Friday, May 13, 2016 9:47 AM

Answers

• Uninstalled KB3142036, it's working on test site now. (FE on 2012R2)

KB Not found in 2008R2,
    Uninstalled KB3142033 instead and confirmed working as well (FE on 2008R2)

Here is the bulletin on what those updates contains:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms16-065.aspx
    • Edited by JoiNto Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Off2work Thursday, May 19, 2016 6:40 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:03 PM

All replies

• Hi , 

Well explained , and i could see you have tried most of the troubleshooting, just to verify Have  you also made sure that WAC server is updated with  all the latest updates if any .. 

Linus

Monday, May 16, 2016 3:36 AM
  • latest updates there as well

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Off2work

Monday, May 16, 2016 7:54 PM
  • Do you still get this event on US FE server (54001; reason="Connection to the Web Conferencing Server could be established, but the server terminated immediately), Have you also attempted a server restart of US server?

As you were explaining looks like 8061 communication is blocked between WAC and FE and hence the URLs are not attempted by the enpoint client, do you see them in the inband provisioning logs from the clients(snooper)

Linus

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:37 AM
  • Thanks for reply Sunilkumar,

Yes error is still there and all servers been restarted couple of times without any help. Snooper doesn't show any trace of connection to WAC server and no error in the logs either.

Strange part is that it works if users are on external network and this works fine for SiteA (internal and external network).

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 7:47 AM
  • then I seem to have drilled it down to port 8061. In SiteA telnet 8061 to any of Frontend servers works fine.

If I do the same for SiteB frontend pool it fails to connect. If I run netstat -a, I cannot see it is listening to port 8061, but it does listen to port 8060.

Since all Skype services is up and running,i don't understand why this frontend does not listen to port 8061.

Which service/application should listen to this port?

Turning off firewall completely did not help either. There is even a rule for 8061, where its open to all applications.

Tips are much appreciated!

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 11:25 AM
  • Hi,

I don't want to hijack this conversation, but I've the same situation as you.
    From external all is working fine with PPT Sharing and such.
    From internal it's not working anymore.

Error 141 in client

On the monitoring I see it generates the following error:

54001; reason="Connection to the Web Conferencing Server could be established, but the server terminated immediately

Only thing we did last weeks on all servers (FE/Edge/RP and WaC) were the windows updates (not the Lync updates).

Spend 4 hours looking all logs, snooper, eventvierw, reporting, Wac IIS, ...
    Trying to check the 8061 / 8060 in accordance to your checks.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:19 PM
  • Yes,last changes we did was also latest windows update. Think there where around 15 of them.

Did you successfully telnet to port 8061 on your Frontend servers?

Could be some .Net update causing the error. Its not possible to repair it from add remove windows components or udates either. It has to be removed using add/remove roles.

Not sure I dare to do it.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 5:49 PM
  • I think I found similar helpful one as you suspected. 

it talks about the .Net update which you were mentioning,pls have a check 

https://greiginsydney.com/no-connectivity-with-the-lync-web-app/

Linus

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 6:27 PM
  • Thanks Sunilkumar,

I have been reading that article as well, but in win 2012 R2 .Net is not on the list of installed programs or updates. This can only be done using add/remove roles. I first have to uninstall it, then install it again.

Not sure I want to do that in a prod environment.

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 6:56 PM
  • I'm having the same errors after May's Patch Tuesday I did find this Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool

but still no luck. ??

Any other ideas?

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 9:29 PM
  • Our WAC is on 2008 R2. I ran the repair for .net 4.5.2 and restarted when prompted. It did not help.

@Off2work we can telnet on 8061 from the site.

• Edited by JoiNto Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:16 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 7:13 AM
  • Tried re-issuing certificate and reboot server did not help either..

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:14 AM
  • Removed the Web App farm and recreated it. Same issue.
    Republished the S4B Topology, restarted all services. Same issue.

I'm in the process of restoring the WAC with VEAM to a point before the windows updates.

@Update: we restored the WAC as before the updates, but the issue is the same. This would suggest that the issue is not with the WAC, but probably on the Front End (were we also did windows updates last week)

On the FE, as for .Net Framework updates installed last week I see 2: KB3142033 and KB3135996. Can someone check if you installed the same?

• Edited by JoiNto Wednesday, May 18, 2016 10:12 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:31 AM
  • We had these installed last week:

I will go thru them to see which one can be uninstalled.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 10:18 AM
  • OK thanks,

We had those updates:

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 10:23 AM
  • Seems we have those KB in common:

KB3154070
    KB3156017
    KB3153731
    KB3156016
    KB3153171
    KB3153199
    KB3156013
    KB3156019

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 10:52 AM
  • KB3135998,KB3142026 and KB3142036 are.net related.

Anyone dare to uninstall those, reboot FE and see if issue is still there?

We have to many users logged on so I cannot do it atm.

thanks!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:25 PM
  • Thanks for the KB info.
    I've test environment, where updates are not yet done.

I've all 3 of those KB's pending. KB3135998,KB3142026 and KB3142036 are.net related.
    I'll install only those 3 on the FE, see if issue is raised. :)

I'll keep you posted.
    • Edited by JoiNto Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:48 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:31 PM
  • Great news:

Installed only those 3 KB (KB3135998,KB3142026 and KB3142036) on another completely separated environment and I have the isssue ! :D

So one of those is definitely the culprit

• Edited by JoiNto Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:47 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:45 PM
  • Thanks Joi,

could you uninstall one and one, then see which one causes it?

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:55 PM
  • Uninstalled KB3142036, it's working on test site now. (FE on 2012R2)

KB Not found in 2008R2,
    Uninstalled KB3142033 instead and confirmed working as well (FE on 2008R2)

Here is the bulletin on what those updates contains:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms16-065.aspx
    • Edited by JoiNto Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by Off2work Thursday, May 19, 2016 6:40 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:03 PM
  • Thanks Joi,

I will uninstall it tomorrow morning when US users are sleeping. Then will post an update here as well!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:51 PM
  • good isolation Joi , hope it also fixes for off2work, yes will wait for tomorrow 

Linus

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 2:37 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that the KB3142030 may cause this issue, try to uninstall it and reboot FE Server to test the issue.

You can refer to the link below:

http://www.wavecoreit.com/blog/serverconfig/we-cant-connect-to-the-server-for-presenting-right-now/

Note: Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. The sites are not controlled by Microsoft. Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. Please make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any suggestions from the above link.

Best Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Eason Huang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Daniel Orlić Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:48 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 3:31 PM
  • Thanks Eason,

that article was published today. Maybe you should report back in the system about this issue.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 4:19 PM
  • Great thread.  I just showed this thread to my boss and told him "this is why I only patch every 3 months."  But, in actuality - it's simply because I'm lazy.   But, I will bookmark it in my "Why I don't patch often" section in Onenote.

Thanks for patching like 2 days after Patch Tuesday so guys like me can continue feeling good about our procrastination problem.

_G

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 4:20 PM
  • Yes, I also patch only every 3 months because I'm afraid of these kind of issues. Our patching guy is forcing me to update ASAP, now he knows why. I also bookmark it to "Why I don't patch often".

Its always the struggle between security and bug.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 4:58 PM
  • Thanks Joi,

uninstalling KB3142036 worked like a charm, both from internal and external network!

• Proposed as answer by Liinus Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:07 AM
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 6:40 AM
  • At last solved , nice to hear. Thanks for sharing the details.

Linus

Thursday, May 19, 2016 8:07 AM
  • Thank you guys!

I can confirm that uninstalling KB3142030 solved the problem for Skype for Business running on Server 2012 R2 and uninstalling KB3142024 on Server 2008 R2 for Lync Server 2010.
    Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:52 AM
  • Thank you all! I have been troubleshooting this issue for a week.

This was great information. I'll be uninstalling this update tonight on my Lync 2013 FE servers and post an update tomorrow.

Monday, May 23, 2016 6:14 PM
  • Removing Security Update KB3142036 from my Lync 2013 Servers, a restart, did the trick! Thanks everyone for posting your updates.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 12:30 PM
  • This has been publicly addressed by Microsoft and a workaround has also been published so that the KB can remain installed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3165438

• Proposed as answer by Striker169 Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:22 PM
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 7:18 PM
  • This has been publicly addressed by Microsoft and a workaround has also been published so that the KB can remain installed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3165438

Have you actually confirmed that the workaround works?  I've tried it, and read many reports of others who have tried, with no results.  
    Friday, June 3, 2016 3:32 PM
  • so I have Lync 2013 2008 R2 server and don't have anything but KB3142024, but im still seeing the same issue
    Monday, June 13, 2016 8:03 PM
  • Uninstall KB3142026 wINDOWS 2012R2
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 5:11 AM
  • I am also facing the same issue.., Everything is working fine except whiteboard sharing. Please guide if you got the solutions. 

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 1:58 PM
  • Please check to see if you have the above KBs installed on your Lync server. Also, not sure what client version you have, but we had issues with sharing with Lync 2010 client. We upgraded everyone to SfB client (on Lync Server 2013) and all whiteboard and sharing issues were resolved.
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 2:01 PM