Laptop theft and Steady State RRS feed

• Question

• Can I use Steady State to help with laptop theft? I'd like to create one guest account with no password that a thief would use since the normal accounts are password protected. Adeona could be used for location tracking. The guest account would be locked down to prevent modification and snooping. Perhaps some software that would track all websites visited and data entered like if the thief went to his gmail or PayPal account. This info would be uploaded to some tracking data capture site.

The account would be left open to the internet so it would be continued to be used rather than reformatted right away.

These are just some thoughts. I have never really lost a laptop but I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks,
    Gary Davis
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:59 PM

Answers

• Gary:

I wouldn't use SteadyState.  I would use encryption software instead.  You can still use Safe Mode to get into the Admin account in many ways which I won't mention since it might scare you because of Windows subtle holes.  I would recommend using either TrueCrypt which may be a pain to set up or Encryption Plus which you have to pay for but is easy to use.  You would want encryption software that would require a login before Windows loads and if you booted from a live CD, you wouldn't be able to see the drive because its encrypted. SteadyState will not work to protect your system.
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:37 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 7:06 PM

All replies

• Gary:

I wouldn't use SteadyState.  I would use encryption software instead.  You can still use Safe Mode to get into the Admin account in many ways which I won't mention since it might scare you because of Windows subtle holes.  I would recommend using either TrueCrypt which may be a pain to set up or Encryption Plus which you have to pay for but is easy to use.  You would want encryption software that would require a login before Windows loads and if you booted from a live CD, you wouldn't be able to see the drive because its encrypted. SteadyState will not work to protect your system.
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:37 AM
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Thanks for your comments, waggypup. But wouldn't using TrueCrypt completely prevent the theif from using the laptop? The idea is to leave an account he could log on to and use the laptop to gather location information (via Adeona) as it is being used.
    Friday, March 13, 2009 3:41 PM