Touch Pad deactivation RRS feed

• Question

• I have Win7 installed on a laptop and can't find a way to deactivate the touchpad.  That function is no longer under Control Panel/Mouse.  Also on this HP Pavilion dv6000 the touch pad hard deactivation button (next to the touch pad) no longer is functioning as it did under Win XP.  Is there another deactivation process?

Thanks,  Ed
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 2:42 PM

Answers

• Since you haven't already, download and install the necessary driver from HP.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 11:58 PM

All replies

• Ed,

If you installed any external HP software to provide additional keyboard and mouse functionality yet can't find that item in the Windows 7 Control Panel as you could in older versions of Windows, try finding it via Instant Search.

Otherwise, you could try disabling the device directly from the Device Manager.
    -Alex
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Alex.  I haven't installed any software from HP.  I installed a new hard drive in the laptop and then loaded Win 7 - that's it.  If there's any "HP" left on this machine it would have to be in the firmware somewher.  Searching for "touch pad or touchpad" doesn't bring up anything useful.  The only thing that shows up in Device Manager is the USB mouse which I want to use and a PS/2 Compatible Mouse which doesn't allow a "disable," only an "uninstall."  There is a PS/2 connector on the computer but it isn't being used.

I saw another question on this subject in another part of this forum, but without an answer.  I have the feeling that Win7 just doesn't recognize a touch pad and possibly was designed more around desktops.  This needs to be fixed.  It's driving me crazy trying to type on the keyboard without touching the touch pad.  My work-a-round is going to be a piece of cardboard taped over the touch pad!  How's that for 21st Century technology??  Win 1880...

Ed   
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 11:19 PM
  • Since you haven't already, download and install the necessary driver from HP.
    Sunday, June 14, 2009 11:58 PM
  • Hi edmertz

This is not a Windows issue. Windows will always recognize the touchpad as a generic PS/2 pointing device unless you remove it from the computer, just as you would any other hardware device. Since a touchpad cannot be easily removed, the only choice is to install the driver/software for the device.

The most common manufacturer for the touchpad on laptops is Synaptics. When a manufacturer installs one of these devices, they customize the driver to fit their requirements for that computer.

There may be a setting in the BIOS on the computer to disable that device, but if not, you can only control the device by using the computer manufacturers driver/software.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Monday, June 15, 2009 12:26 AM
  • Thanks much to all.  I downloaded the HP driver and then disabled the touch pad. 

What would we do without these forums and so many knowledgable people willing to share?

Ed
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:00 PM
  • Yes, once I installed the driver the push button worked -- went from blue to amber.  'Guess that's a "software button" -- not one that's hard wired.

Ed
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:51 PM