Win 8.1 pro slow on Hyper-V 2008R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a hyper-v host 2008R2 with several VMs running, windows 7 and windows 8.1. Windows 7 VMs are working fine, while all Win 8.1 VMs are working really bad. I noticed that doing a simple operation (like opening word) uses 100% of disk that is equal to around 5-6 MB/S (I can see it on task manager). I tried also to shutdown all VMs on the host and running only one Win 8.1 vm, it is still slow, so I don't think it is a problem of lack of resource on the host. Is there any compatibility problem with 8.1 ran on 2008R2 hyper-v?
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 4:20 PM

Answers

• Hi maurice,

Thank you for your question.

By our testing, we could run Windows 8.1 on Windows server 2008 R2 without any problems, please update Windows to the lasted (include Windows 8.1 and Windows server 2008R2) to check if the issue persist.

If not, we suggest you re-download Windows 8.1 ISO then install it. In addition, please check the hardware requirements as above suggestion.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, December 2, 2015 4:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:06 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 6:02 AM

All replies

• Read here: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc794868.aspx

Windows 8 support for hyper-v 2008 R2 require a hotfix. Also they only talk about windows 8 and not windows 8.1

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 4:58 PM
  • if when you set up the VMs and you picked all 4 cores to use with VM's then you left no resource's for the computer to run you also may have chose too much ram (physical) best practice is to only use half of your resource's for your Virtual Machine when you reach that setup page

example you have 4 core processor only use 2

8 gigs of ram only use 2 gig's etc

you can also try using dism on the win 8 VM's just in case files are corrupt

windows 8.1 sucks that is why they changed to windows 10 quickly

but mostly the slowness could only come from resources as that is all VM sandboxes run from

sounds like resource corruption I would try using dism to check and also the most VM's you should use is 4 any more then that running at one time burns up ram

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:44 PM
  • 8 and 8.1 are the same OS 8.1 comes with more included updates then 8
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:45 PM
  • Hi maurice,

Thank you for your question.

By our testing, we could run Windows 8.1 on Windows server 2008 R2 without any problems, please update Windows to the lasted (include Windows 8.1 and Windows server 2008R2) to check if the issue persist.

If not, we suggest you re-download Windows 8.1 ISO then install it. In addition, please check the hardware requirements as above suggestion.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, December 2, 2015 4:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:06 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 6:02 AM