none
Modifying the FAST PostGRESQL Database UserID and Pwd RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am using FAST ESP 5.3  and there is a requirement to change the UserId and Pwd for FAST's PostGRESql Database ("vespa") which is present in esp4j.properties file in $FASTSRCH\etc folder.

The default userid and pwd is "fast". I want to change the userid and a strong pwd for the same. My question is that if I would do these changes in esp4j.properties then it would go smoothly or there would be any impact of this in some functionalities such as SBC, Admin GUI, QRServer Interface etc.

Do anyone know that what other changes would be required in other files and places for implementing this change into esp4j.properties file.

Ashish Gupta Click "Vote As Helpful"! if you think that post is helpful in responding your question click "Mark As Answer, if you think that this is your answer for your question.

Friday, June 14, 2013 4:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Ashish,

I would recommend that you open a new case for this issue, as this can be a delicate procedure, and log review should be completed before-hand.  Would you be able to open a new case for this issue with our Technical Support team?

Thanks!

Rob Vazzana | Sr Support Escalation Engineer | US Customer Service & Support

Customer Service   & Support                            Microsoft| Services

Monday, November 11, 2013 8:57 PM

All replies

• I don't believe there are any other files that need to be changed.
    After the change you will need to update and ensure the 'espuser' table have the same values. i.e

Below are the steps to change/reset admin password:
    1.cd %FASTSEARCH%\rdbms\bin
    2.psql --username fast -p 16070 vespa  (enter ‘fast’ for password)
    You will be changing the ‘espuser’ table.

If you  want to reset the original password ( blank) md5sum - d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e, then run the command:
    -> update espuser set password= d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e where name='admin'
    3.confirm the change be running select * from espuser;

You will need however, to test out on lower environment and take backup of files that will be modified.

Friday, June 14, 2013 3:15 PM
  • Thanks Patrick for your response.

I think the steps which you are listing here is to change the "pwd" for "esp.adminserver.password=" entry into "esp4j.properties" file which changes the pwd for "AdminGUI" of FAST ESP.

My requirement is to change the "pwd" of this entry "postgresql.pass=fast" in "esp4j.properties" file. When I am trying to modify it, I am getting the error from "logtransformer" module. It is not starting up.

Process logtransformer terminated shortly after starting

We did some more analysis and found that there are 5 different Databases("dictionaries", "postgres", "vespa" and two more) for which this user id("fast") and pwd("fast") is being used to connect with these database.

So our requirement is to change the "pwd" in below entry of "esp4j.properties" file, so that we can restrict users to connect to these databases.

postgresql.pass=fast

Ashish Gupta Click "Vote As Helpful"! if you think that post is helpful in responding your question click "Mark As Answer, if you think that this is your answer for your question.

Friday, June 14, 2013 4:56 PM
  • Hi Ashish,

I would recommend testing this on a staging or development environment, as this is not documented in our guides, but this should be able to be met.  On the client side (usually the Adminserver) one can change the username/password in esp4j.properties, and one can use a postgres tool to make similar changes to the username/password.

Please note that the above would be done post-install of ESP.  One cannot set the database user/password during the installation process via the install profile.  Let us know your results.

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:14 PM
  • Thanks Rob for your response on this.

I tried the same way which I tried earlier in TEST, but logtransformer goed dead while restarting the server after making the change in this entry "postgresql.pass=fast" in esp4j.properties file.

Process logtransformer terminated shortly after starting

We are trying to change the same after installation.

Can you please give some more information about postgres tool and how it works to change the username and pwd for postgresql DB.

Thanks

Ashish

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Hi Ashish,

I would recommend that you open a new case for this issue, as this can be a delicate procedure, and log review should be completed before-hand.  Would you be able to open a new case for this issue with our Technical Support team?

Thanks!

Monday, November 11, 2013 8:57 PM