none
Using the GPO for Steady State on domain - do I need to install software on each pc also? RRS feed

• Question

• I have worked on configuring the policy on the network using the template that came with Steady State. This is all I have done and now I am wondering if I need to install Steady State on my lab pcs individually. I have read the handbook but still can't find the answers I need. My questions are:
    1. Do I need to install Steady State on each pc in my lab in order to use disk protection?
    2. If so, can I skip certain steps like creating the user accounts? All my user accounts are in Active Directory and I don't need local accounts.
    3. Window Updates are handled by a separate policy, do I have to change this if using disk protection on the lab pcs and modify a setting on each local pc in Steady State?
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:27 PM

Answers

• Hi, thanks for the post. I’d like to answer your questions below:

1.       Do I need to install Steady State on each pc in my lab in order to use disk protection?

Yes, we need to install Windows SteadyState on each computer in order to use WDP (Windows Disk Protection).

2.       If so, can I skip certain steps like creating the user accounts? All my user accounts are in Active Directory and I don't need local accounts.

Yes. However, please understand that those domain users do not show in Windows SteadyState. Of course, this is not a problem, if you use group policy to restrict domain users.

3.       Window Updates are handled by a separate policy, do I have to change this if using disk protection on the lab pcs and modify a setting on each local pc in Steady State?

Windows Update should not be a problem if you use WDP with Schedule Software Updates together. By default, Schedule Software Updates is turned on if you enable WDP.

If updates (including security updates and antivirus updates) were installed through Windows SteadyState’s Schedule Software Updates component, they can be applied permanently. When WDP is turned on, these updates are not subsequently removed at restart. However, if updates were installed through other methods, WDP will remove all the changes at restart if the “Remove all changes at restart” option is selected.

During the installation of updates, Windows SteadyState makes sure that the “Retain all changes permanently” option is turned on in the Protect the Hard Drive dialog box. After the installation of all updates, SteadyState will restore the WDP option to “Remove all changes at restart”. That’s why all updates will be retained.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:28 AM