none
Attempting Exchange 2003 MDBDATA Recover. IS Store won't mount. DN does not match. RRS feed

• Question

• I have the MDBDATA folder from an Exchange 2003 server that I need to mount and recover mailbox data from.  Both the Private and Public (although i don't need any thing from the Public store) are marked as "Clean Shutdown".
    The original AD Domain and Exchange 2003 server that this came from are gone.
    I found this great article on how to recover Exchange mailboxes if all you have is Information Store Database.
    URL = http://www.answersthatwork.com/Download_Area/ATW_Library/Exchange_2003/Exchange2003__1-Recovering_Emails_and_Mailboxes_from_a_PRIV1.EDB_Exchange_2003_IS_database.pdf

In short it says to recreate the AD Domain (same name), recreate the Exchange 2003 server (same name), inall Exchange 2003 (same Organization name) how to dismount the existing Information Store, then replace the MDBDATA files with the files from the old Exchange server, then remount the Information Stores.
    All that worked perfectly, until I tried to mount the Private and Public Information Stores.
    I get an error message from MSExchangeIS (Event ID 1088) stating:

The information store could not be loaded because the distinguished name (DN) /O=EXCHORG/OU=LABGROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN= of message database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHSVR)" does not match the DN of directory /O=EXCHORG/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=.
    The database may have been restored to a computer that is in an organization or site different than the original database.

I'm pretty sure all i need to do is change the DN of "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHSVR)" so that the first OU container is "LABGROUP" (in the database i'm tying to mount) instead of "FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP" which is what the Exchange setup program automatically put in (after i indicated the Exchange Organization was "EXCHORG", i wasn't asked for any further input).
    The thing is i can't find out how to either change the DN OU of the First Storage Group in Exchange, or change the DN OU of the MDNDATA database, or how to mount an Information Store if they don't match.

I have looked on the web, but all of the solutions i seem to find center around a fixing different Exchange Organization name or server name.
    Can't seem to find anything that specifically addressesa different named Storage Unit, when the server and Exchange Organizations do match.

I'm unfamiliar with both ADSIEdit and Recovery Storage Group operation, so step-by-step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    BeekerC

Sunday, February 23, 2014 10:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Have you tried creating another administrative group named LABGROUP? The database should mount in a storage group in there.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Monday, February 24, 2014 4:07 AM
  • I thought so, but evidently not.

i've created a LABGROUP under the server, but that's just a Storage Group.

how do create another adminstrative group?  i can't find that under any of the "New..." fly-out menus.

Thanks

Monday, February 24, 2014 10:29 AM
  • Okay, found the checkbox to display Administrative Groups.

created one called LABGROUP.

but all that shows under it is Routing Group.

how do i mount the priv1.edb under that Administrative Group now?

Do i need to delete the First Administrative Group so i can attach the Server to LABGROUP?

Thanks

Monday, February 24, 2014 10:34 AM
  • You need the server to be in that admin group. You should be able to move the server to the new AG.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:15 AM
  • Rich,

I agree.  can't figure out how to do it though.

could you give me step-by-step directions or point me to a webpage that deatils the steps?

Thank you.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 9:34 AM
  • This has links to MS KB articles on how to Get that 1st server into an Administrative group that's named differently to "First Administrative Group":

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH20523

The alternative, of course, is to install another machine into the LABGROUP administrative group you created and use it for the recovery (renaming the database names, of course).

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 3:39 AM