SharePoint 2007 documents and virtual directories RRS feed

• Question

• I inherited an older SharePoint implementation and am simply trying to find out where the documents uploaded to SharePoint are stored (DB, local folder, network folder, etc).  None of the associated remote databases show changed modification dates after adding anything to SharePoint and the http directories are some type of hidden virtuals.  I've searched the local server and the documents don't show up so... I'm not seeing a DB change, no search results, and it's using some type of hidden virtuals so how can I find out where the documents are stored?  I've also done packet dumps during the client transfer and the client traffic is the only thing showing the transfer (not to the remote SQL server) so again I'm assuming these docs are being stored locally.  There is not a local SQL server running.

TIA... obviously not a SharePoint guy.

• Edited by NateNord Monday, March 14, 2011 6:56 PM
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, March 14, 2011 7:03 PM Not customization. A case could be made for admin but general it is (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, March 14, 2011 6:40 PM

Answers

• Nate,
    What version of SharePoint are you using? If it is 2003 or 2007, then documents that are within Document Libraries are stored in the SQL content databases (which are separate from the configuration database).

BTW, I am sure Mr. Walsh will be useful as always and move this thread to the General forum.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, March 14, 2011 7:01 PM Mr Walsh will (and he has also deleted the reference to SP 2010 as this is a pre-2010 forum :)
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, March 14, 2011 7:04 PM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 6:50 PM

All replies

• Nate,
    What version of SharePoint are you using? If it is 2003 or 2007, then documents that are within Document Libraries are stored in the SQL content databases (which are separate from the configuration database).

BTW, I am sure Mr. Walsh will be useful as always and move this thread to the General forum.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, March 14, 2011 7:01 PM Mr Walsh will (and he has also deleted the reference to SP 2010 as this is a pre-2010 forum :)
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, March 14, 2011 7:04 PM
    Monday, March 14, 2011 6:50 PM
  • SharePoint 2007 and I appreciate the reply (I updated the title).

Nate

Monday, March 14, 2011 6:55 PM