Black screen before windows start up RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Toshiba Satellite 300 running Windows 7. I originally upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. When I start it, I get the Toshiba log, then it goes black: it doesn't even get to the windows start up screen. There is no cursor in the middle. Starting with the Windows 7 disc in makes no difference, although I can hear the disc turning. I have tried taking out the battery and holding the power button but that didn't work. Neither did FN plus F5. Holding F8 made no difference either. Any suggestions: I'm all out of things to try?!
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 3:41 AM

Answers

• Has it ever booted into Windows 7 after the upgrade, or is this all it has done while trying to upgrade?
    If it used to work in Win7, what has changed as far as software or hardware installations or upgrades?
    If you go into BIOS, does your HDD show there?
    Do you have your Vista recovery disc set? You may end up bringing it back to day one, then reinstalling the Win7 upgrade.
    Did you get all of the Win7 driver updates before the upgrade?
    You could download and create a boot CD with this program: http://www.ubcd4win.com/   Read through the web page for instructions how to create and use it for repairs.

Do you have a viable system backup that you could use to restore a new HDD if that's what it turns out to be, or just restore to make the laptop work?

SC Tom

• Proposed as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:04 AM
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 12:42 PM