monitor send port and receive location state and Event viewer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

We are busing BizTalk server 2009 and SQL Server 2008. We also have Systems Center Operations Manager monitoring the group. When receive location is disabled or send port is stopped, the availability monitors in SCOM 2007 , send out email alerts. However I do not see any related entries in the Event viewer either in BizTalk Administration console or even on launching windows event viewer. We need to track the user id who changed the state of the send port or receive location. However , even the action itself does not appear in the event viewer , though SCOM is detecting it and raising alert. The SCOM alert also shows the Modified by as System.  Can you please help with the following-

1. Where in event viewer can receive location and send port change of state log be viewed

2. How to track user id which changes the state of receive location or send port.

3. Why does SCOM state the modified by as "system" and not the login id which affected the change.

Thanks very much . Appreciate it.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:42 PM

Answers

• The answer is really simple: It's not tracked.

If a receive location or send port crashes in any way it's stated in the event log, but if someone disables it by hand, BizTalk asserts that everything's fine and won't write a eventlog entry. That's the reason regarding your first question.

When you disable a location a flag in the database is set. Within the database there is no entry for the Windows user, so SCOM says it's "system". So that's question two and three.

You could try to write a trigger on SQL level, use the logged in database user and store it in an own table. I never tried and it will be unsupported but might help you. I don't know an easier solution.

If you like my post or consider it as a valid answer, please use the buttons to show me - Oliver

http://biztalk.hauth.me

Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:05 PM

All replies

• The answer is really simple: It's not tracked.

If a receive location or send port crashes in any way it's stated in the event log, but if someone disables it by hand, BizTalk asserts that everything's fine and won't write a eventlog entry. That's the reason regarding your first question.

When you disable a location a flag in the database is set. Within the database there is no entry for the Windows user, so SCOM says it's "system". So that's question two and three.

You could try to write a trigger on SQL level, use the logged in database user and store it in an own table. I never tried and it will be unsupported but might help you. I don't know an easier solution.

If you like my post or consider it as a valid answer, please use the buttons to show me - Oliver

http://biztalk.hauth.me

Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:05 PM
  • Hi,

Changed state of receive location or send port is not logged in the eventviewer. The reason you see changes of state in SCOM is because the health service running in that environment does monitor state of applications, ports, ect. Some auditing on system can be done using HAT to see what happened in BizTalk. A fair amount of information is tracked by default and you can of course track more information if you want. Note: Keep in mind that tracking more information comes with a peformance penalty. For custom auditing I suggest you read BizTalk: Architectural Tips: Custom Audit on BizTalk guru's. On last question I have no direct answer for you, but my guess is that you need to create a custom management pack for BizTalk.

HTH

Regards,

Steef-Jan Wiggers
    MCTS BizTalk Server
    http://soa-thoughts.blogspot.com/
    If this answers your question please mark it accordingly

BizTalk
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:40 PM
  • Hi,

i have configured SCOM for montoring BizTalk Server 2009 services but i don't need to monitor all services. so i wana stop those alerts also that are being generated by "Default BizTAlk Server Monitoring Pack" , but  i m not able to do it becouse "properties" option is enabled but it i cant change further and also some other options are disabled.

can any body help me in how to Stop Alerts generated by "Default BizTAlk Server Monitoring Pack" in SCOM...

Harmeet Singh Virk

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 4:45 AM