Launching 2nd instance of Remote Desktop Connection does not change focus to newly launched window RRS feed

• Question

• This is a real annoyance to me and hoping someone can provide a solution.  

I use Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) a lot throughout the day to connect to various servers.  I do also use the Remote Desktop Connection Manager, however this isn't a question on which tool to be used, rather an annoyance I find when using multiple instances of the RDC client.

If I have RDP'd into a server then launch a new instance of RDC from my desktop machine by SHIFT-clicking on the program, the new connection dialogue appears but focus has not changed to the newly launched dialogue.

I find this annoying because I have to then click on the dialogue to get focus to enter a hostname.

Is there something procedurally wrong that I am doing or is this by design?  If this is the latter case, I think it should be revisited.

Thanks,

Friday, August 8, 2014 8:52 PM

Answers

• Can you please explain a bit? May be along with screenshot?

'If I have RDP'd into a server then launch a new instance of RDC from my desktop machine by SHIFT-clicking on the program, the new connection dialogue appears but focus has not changed to the newly launched dialogue."

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by arnavsharma Sunday, August 24, 2014 4:38 PM
    Monday, August 11, 2014 4:09 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my test, the focus will automatically switch to the new dialogue when you launch a new remote desktop connection.

Did you means this situation(see the screenshot below):

In the new dialogue, the focus is in the Computer input box with red marked.

Please perform it in Clean bootor safe mode to check the result.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 11, 2014 5:41 AM

All replies

• Can you please explain a bit? May be along with screenshot?

'If I have RDP'd into a server then launch a new instance of RDC from my desktop machine by SHIFT-clicking on the program, the new connection dialogue appears but focus has not changed to the newly launched dialogue."

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, August 11, 2014 4:09 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my test, the focus will automatically switch to the new dialogue when you launch a new remote desktop connection.

Did you means this situation(see the screenshot below):

In the new dialogue, the focus is in the Computer input box with red marked.

Please perform it in Clean bootor safe mode to check the result.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 11, 2014 5:41 AM