IE 32 bit, Opera, MS outlook 2007, and most 32 bit programs can no longer access the internet. RRS feed

• Question

• Vista Ultimate RTM  legit copy.

Been using Vista x64 OS since it was released to MSDN and Technet group.

Everything has been fine.

All of a sudden I can no longer connect via IE 32, Opera 9, MS Outlook 2007, Nod 32, and many other programs that require access to internet. NOD 32 gives "error cannot open socket"

IE 64 works fine. Windows update works fine. Power radio on my sidebar works fine.All side bars are updating and working fine. Rolled back system to last point and time I had updates working and no luck. Very wierd.

No system errors. Disabling Firewall does nothing. Is there a service that has stopped?

Using  "ipconfig / release and ipconfig /renew'  does nothing.

I have full connection to my LAN. I can print to all my network printers. I can access the internet with IE 64.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 1:03 PM

Answers

• All you need is to Run all programs as Administrator and allow these programs in your firewall.

For ipconfig, you need to run Command Prompt as Administrator to use the ipconfig and effective commands.

Good luck

Sunday, January 28, 2007 3:12 PM
  • Windows already was packed and ready for release after tomorrow, so any problem will be fixed in the Windows Vista SP1.

Good luck

Sunday, January 28, 2007 7:53 PM

All replies

• All you need is to Run all programs as Administrator and allow these programs in your firewall.

For ipconfig, you need to run Command Prompt as Administrator to use the ipconfig and effective commands.

Good luck

Sunday, January 28, 2007 3:12 PM
  • Thats fine and you are right.

But we are talking about two different issues here.

Under Vista x64 OS the 32 bit versions of many programa fail to load and run in a 64 bit enviorement.

The 32 bit sub-system is getting corrupted for some reason, and all services dependant on them fail to run.

This was the main reason I started this thread. MS lack of follow up on this issue suprises me. I have logged this issue up on connect and got no response. Maybe when Vista gets wide release next week; someone will get their attention to this major issue.

Sunday, January 28, 2007 3:28 PM
  • Windows already was packed and ready for release after tomorrow, so any problem will be fixed in the Windows Vista SP1.

Good luck

Sunday, January 28, 2007 7:53 PM
  • Same thing happening here. Any solution ?
    Sunday, February 11, 2007 12:52 PM
  • It seems nod32 is causing the problem.

See:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=166844&highlight=vista
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 12:13 PM
  • That would make sense, I am now using Symantec and everything is fine. I had all the problems with NOD32. Thanks
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 2:23 AM
  • I un-installed NOD 32 after I lost 32 bit access; and so far no problems.

everything came back.

Now I need to find a Virus software that works.

Monday, March 19, 2007 11:36 PM
  • Resolved my issue as well. 'Man alive' I was going batty. I have submitted an issue with ESET and await their response. Sadly, that's two Anti-virus softwares --LiveOneCare and NOD32- which I have purchased and can not use with my Vista x64 bit enviornment. I'm fastly becoming a very disgruntled customer.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:55 PM
  • Fortunately very few viruses will run run on vista  x64  at least for now.

I have had no problems since I un installed NOD 32. The do have issues with the program.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 11:18 PM
  • CNET has just offered Opera 16 for Windows 7. I installed it and they asked me to install these as well:

Adobe Flash

Adobe Shockwave

Adobe Reader

Adobe AIR

I did so and now Opera 16 works swell. Thanks for all the advice folks- keimanzero

Monday, September 9, 2013 12:15 AM