none
OFT rendering issues in Outlook 2016

Question

• Hi,

We create outlook templates for client. 
    We create HTML file first, this HTML is inserted into Outlook and saved as .OFT. 
    Everything looks good, we test final .oft files on various testing devices and outlook versions.

But when the client opens .oft file, he reports huge rendering issues:

- visible white lines on color background
    - cropped images 1px from random side (especially logos look very bad)
    - cut off letters(g, j, y) from the bottom

We tried to repro these issues but we can see the same issues only when we use zoom in outlook.
    Problem is the client can see these issues with zoom set to 100%. 
    The client uses desktop Outlook 2016.

Is there any way how to avoid these rendering issues?

Thank you.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:05 AM

Answers

• Hi Ramon,

I have downloaded your shared files and did a test in my Outlook 2016. Opened the OFT file in Outlook 2016 and there is no issue with the picture display with 100% zoom:

When I zoom in 110%, the issue can be reproduced:

Did further analysis, I found that the white line is the Table row line which you used for the picture structure. When you zoom in and zoom out, the table line or border would be visible for the picture. In your scenario, please try to remove the table, use the Word to edit the text as a workaround. Then confirm if the issue can be fixed.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ramon_Zil Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:22 PM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please open this form, go to Developer tab, click Design this form to change the background and letter font to have a try.

If possible, could you please share this .oft file to us since the issue only happens to this specific form. You can upload the file to your OneDrive and share the link here for download.

We would open it and do further analysis for your .OFT form.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 14, 2017 9:17 AM
  • Hi,

When I click Design this form, entire content of OFT become one object and I am not able to choose any part and change properties.

I can share .oft, it has not real content, but all reported issues are visible.
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AulEi3VjcEbvgoVv5K94CCp-781_kg

Screenshot of how we can see it on desktop Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016 on our PC/devices:
    (no issue visible)
    https://1drv.ms/i/s!AulEi3VjcEbvgoVOjXQQcezE9w_ggw

The client uses desktop Outlook 2016 and reports these issues:
    screenshots:
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!AulEi3VjcEbvgoVLosUNsVP64WtDiQ

- visible white lines on color background
    - cropped images 1px from random side (especially logos look very bad)
    - cut off letters(g, j, y) from the bottom

Regards,

ZilDEV
    • Edited by Ramon_Zil Thursday, April 20, 2017 11:27 AM wrong oft version
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 9:35 AM
  • Hi Ramon,

I have downloaded your shared files and did a test in my Outlook 2016. Opened the OFT file in Outlook 2016 and there is no issue with the picture display with 100% zoom:

When I zoom in 110%, the issue can be reproduced:

Did further analysis, I found that the white line is the Table row line which you used for the picture structure. When you zoom in and zoom out, the table line or border would be visible for the picture. In your scenario, please try to remove the table, use the Word to edit the text as a workaround. Then confirm if the issue can be fixed.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

• Marked as answer by Ramon_Zil Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:22 PM
    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 7:02 AM
  • Hi,

it seems using tables is source of all reported issues. When we removed all tables, no issue is visible (any zoom).

But now the question is:

How to build .OFT with 2 or 3 columns design without tables? :)
    We tried to format columns in Word(Page Layout > Columns), but it has no effect in Outlook.

Thanks anyway, at least we know the source of reported issues and we can try to optimize our code to use minimum tables or to find some workaround.

Regards,

ZilDEV

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

it seems using tables is source of all reported issues. When we removed all tables, no issue is visible (any zoom).

But now the question is:

How to build .OFT with 2 or 3 columns design without tables? :)
    We tried to format columns in Word(Page Layout > Columns), but it has no effect in Outlook.

Thanks anyway, at least we know the source of reported issues and we can try to optimize our code to use minimum tables or to find some workaround.

Regards,

ZilDEV

You are welcome!

If you have any new question about the Outlook forum, it is better to open a new thread for the issue to get more suggestion :)

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:52 AM