none
Setting Default Printer using GPO - Printer queue installed by MSI

Question

• Hi

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

On Windows 8.1 we have a printer and print queue created by an MSI. We have another package deployed that installs a print queue. When the package is deployed to the client it seems to default to this queue as opposed to the printer queue. I would like to change this in group policy to force it to use the printer queue (note: we are not allowed to use scripts).

Looking at Windows 8.1 device HKEY_CURRENT_User:

Software\Microsoft\Windows  NT\CurrentVersion\Windows           Device,winspool,Ne01:

Software\Microsoft\Windows  NT\CurrentVersion\Devices             winspool,Ne01

Software\Microsoft\Windows  NT\CurrentVersion\PrinterPorts       winspool,Ne01;15,45

Software\Microsoft\Windows  NT\CurrentVersion\Windows            0x1

Do i need to update these registry keys? Or do I just need to update the Software\Microsoft\Windows  NT\CurrentVersion\Windows key to set the default?

I have noted the Ne01 number referencing the print queue seems to vary from computer to computer depending on what print queues are installed. Therefore thought it was necessary to update all the registry entries to ensure the queue mirrors what is in the default? is there anywehere else that you need to make the change in the registry?

Thank you

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 1:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post, I'm a bit confused that you use the MSI packages to deploy printer and printer queue, you can deploy the printer directly via the group policy settings and deploy a printer as default if you like.

You can check the below article, you can check it for the detailed steps:

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/61503-how-to-deploy-printers-through-a-gpo-and-set-multiple-default-printers-based-on-groups

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 10, 2015 3:14 AM
  • On top of that I stopped to assign a printer as default printer and leave the selection to the user.

This saves you from complaints if the user prefers a different printer as default (i.e. the manager his local desktop printer) and gets it always changed back.

The msi stuff seems to be really confusing and not intended besides being a way to install the driver and may mess up the config depending from their design. Are these printers shared on a server or directly connected with the clients? The best way would be to have one dedicated machine as print server and share the printer from there.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, July 10, 2015 1:57 PM
  • Thanks for your answer Olaf. The reason why we deploy it in this method as we use "follow me" printing. Provided by the MFD distributor.
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015 5:01 AM