none
Applications hang during task sequence RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. We are running MDT 2013 U1. We recently converted from an all-in-one .wim solution to utilizing task sequences for application deployment.

I am having issues with two specific applications. One is an email archive plugin for Outlook (.msi) and the other is Citrix Receiver 4.3 (.exe). The problem I am having is when these applications deploy the task sequence hangs. The applications fully install but what happens is someone has to come over to the machine and move the mouse for it to proceed to the next task sequence. Power Settings by this time are configured for the system to not go to sleep because it was sitting there so long before the computer would do just that. If someone sits there moving the mouse the whole time from the point the application begins to install it takes about 2 minutes. If no one moves the mouse it can sit there for days if we let it. No idea what the deal is with these two specific applications. It doesn't depend on which order I put them in my application bundle or if I set them up to install as separate applications and not part of our bundle.

Has anyone seen this before? I don't see anything out of the ordinary in our logs.

Friday, February 5, 2016 12:15 PM

All replies

• Hi

It is a "bug" in the citrix receiver installation - it hangs on the USB support component.

You can try this CitrixReceiverEnterprise.exe /noreboot /silent /includeSSON ADDLOCAL=ReceiverInside,ICA_Client,SSON,SELFSERVICE,DesktopViewer,Flash,PN_Agent,Vd3d

For your archive plugin for outlook - you need to investigate what that gets the installation to hang.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, February 5, 2016 10:13 PM
  • Hi

It is a "bug" in the citrix receiver installation - it hangs on the USB support component.

You can try this CitrixReceiverEnterprise.exe /noreboot /silent /includeSSON ADDLOCAL=ReceiverInside,ICA_Client,SSON,SELFSERVICE,DesktopViewer,Flash,PN_Agent,Vd3d

For your archive plugin for outlook - you need to investigate what that gets the installation to hang.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen

So I was able to fix the Citrix application with the info posted. Thanks for that.

So for the other plug in its actually not a mouse movement that fixes it, but a left click on the desktop. Its like if the task sequence installer has the focus then the application wont install. I've been trying to find a powershell script I could maybe run or something which would perform a left click on the desktop once the application launches but I haven't been able to find anything.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:56 PM
  • Hi

Try to run it from powershell deployment toolkit - http://psappdeploytoolkit.com/

Kind regards
    Per Larsen

Friday, February 12, 2016 4:22 PM
  • Check out this post from The Scripting Guy.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2011/01/10/provide-input-to-applications-with-powershell/

Here is an example from the article that launches Calculator, then grabs the Calc window and types in 1+1.

SendKeys.ps1

add-type -AssemblyName microsoft.VisualBasic

add-type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms

Calc

start-sleep -Milliseconds 500

[Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction]::AppActivate(“Calc”)

[System.Windows.Forms.SendKeys]::SendWait(“1{ADD}1=”)

Here is a link to the SendKeys class, which might also be helpful.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.sendkeys%28v=vs.110%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Friday, February 12, 2016 11:38 PM
  • Make an installwrapper

launch it via this command line as an application.

cmd \c cscript installwrapper.vbs

This will launch another window (command window and your msi) this might adjust the focus...

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 9:14 PM