Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop DVD/Rewriter disappears? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there I own a dell inspiron 1545 and I was on windows vista before doing a whole custom install of Windows 7. Now the driver for my dvd drive is the "TSST - TS-L633B 12.7 TRayload 8xDVD" Now It worked as soon as I installed windows 7 but now its totally disappeared in the device manager list and does not show up in the devices apart from my hard drive. I have noticed in my Bios that its not showing up neither apart from my hard drive so how can I make my bios recognise my DVD/CD Rewriter and as for the "Driver" its not being recognised neither.

I can't play any dvd's or put a software disk into my drive as it won't play anything at the moment. Like i said I installed windows 7 and right from the beginning it did not recognise my dvd drive but as soon as I went into the control panel and adjusted the power setting to "High performance" it recognised my dvd drive. Then what I did I put it onto "Balanced" power setting and then went back to the "Devices" and it has totally disappeared again. So then I put it back onto the "High performance" setting again and now still nothing as it did not appear after I did that. So can anyone please help on this subject as I believe a lot of people owning a "Dell inspiron 1545" laptop are having the same problem as I am and I do believe it is a big problem after moving over from "Vista" to "Windows 7" as I did a custom install.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 5:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you let us know when the issue began to happen? have you got any hardware or software changes recently?

Since the BIOS is used to stored the Basic IO settings, the system would not able to find the DVD drive if the BIOS failed to detected it. At this point, It's better to update your BIOS to fix your issue. You can latest version from the following link: 

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=BIOSA&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INSPIRON1545&hidos=W732&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

I hope this can help you.

John

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, December 11, 2009 9:46 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2009 5:20 AM
  • this is what you have to do. i fought for 3 weeks and attempted many "online" cure,s

i have the same exact laptop and the same exact thing. vista to windows7. i even tried another dvd drive.

in the bios, your set to AHCI mode in sata setup.  switch to ATA MODE.  open disk drive put in windows 7 install disk. save setting in bios. press f12 on start up splash screen (boot options) select cd/dvd. and start from scratch.

yes it sucks but it is the only thing that works. i did not even go to dell for driver setups. it all worked by itself.

good luck

• Proposed as answer by bodihead Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:38 PM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 10:37 PM
  • Thank you very much, bodihead.

Your solution is the only thing that worked! My problem has been resolved. 

Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:08 PM
  • thanks bodihead, that is the only thing that worked for me too
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:15 PM
  • This fixed the problem with my Inspiron 1545 on Win7 x64.
    Tuesday, June 28, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Thank You Bodihead!! I had the exact problem, nothing worked and finally ended up changing SATA settings...
    Monday, October 29, 2012 12:42 PM