RDP for Mac to SBS 2011 Remote Web Access RRS feed

• Question

• We are running Windows SBS 2011, and have it set up for Remote Web Access.  We are able to connect fine from home on all the windows based machines.  But when we try and connect to the RDP session from a mac it will not connect.  The error:  

Remote Desktop Connection cannot verify the identity of the computer to which you want to connect.  Try reconnecting to a windows-based computer, or contact your administrator. 

The error only comes up while trying to connect via an external network (i.e home or wireless hot spots).  We are able to RDP from the mac to windows workstations while connected to the work wireless.  I can't seem to find any support on this particular issue so any advice would be excellent.  Thank you.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since you are able to RDP from the mac to Windows workstations with connect to the work wireless. However, it failed from home (external side).

From the error message below:

Remote Desktop Connection cannot verify the identity of the computer to which you want to connect.  Try reconnecting to a windows-based computer, or contact your administrator.

It seems that you are using the FQDN to connect to the PC from your MAC. On the work wireless, it’s a LAN (local area network); the PC name you specify could be resolved. However, the name can’t be resolved on the WAN (wide area network).

I suggest that you could use the pubic IP address instead to verify whether the RDP works properly on your MAC or not.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by James Xiong Monday, April 9, 2012 8:06 AM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:55 AM
  • If you are an a Mac, and you are attempting to use Remote Web Workplace, you cant.  That requires IE and active-X.

You can use iTap RDP, this is a third party program that you can buy. You must also purchase RDS cals for all users that connect with a Mac. 

This is the best way to use a Mac to connect to desktops inside the firewall. 

Jeremy

Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since you are able to RDP from the mac to Windows workstations with connect to the work wireless. However, it failed from home (external side).

From the error message below:

Remote Desktop Connection cannot verify the identity of the computer to which you want to connect.  Try reconnecting to a windows-based computer, or contact your administrator.

It seems that you are using the FQDN to connect to the PC from your MAC. On the work wireless, it’s a LAN (local area network); the PC name you specify could be resolved. However, the name can’t be resolved on the WAN (wide area network).

I suggest that you could use the pubic IP address instead to verify whether the RDP works properly on your MAC or not.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:55 AM
  • The only workstation located out our office that has an public IP address is our server.  That being said, I am able to connect directly to the server using the public IP address, and obviously from there I am able to remote into any of the domain workstations.  While that is functional as an admin standpoint I do not want the average user RDP into the server first.  I would prefer to get it to work from Mac to Workstation.  
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:57 PM
  • I have the same problem and haven't found a solution on OSX 10.7.  I think this is a case where the OS matters, looks like MS programmed a RDP connection to work via IE and this can't be replicated using an OSX browser.
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:53 PM
  • If you are an a Mac, and you are attempting to use Remote Web Workplace, you cant.  That requires IE and active-X.

You can use iTap RDP, this is a third party program that you can buy. You must also purchase RDS cals for all users that connect with a Mac. 

This is the best way to use a Mac to connect to desktops inside the firewall. 

Jeremy

Thursday, April 5, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

Any Update?

James

James Xiong

Monday, April 9, 2012 8:06 AM
  • Hi.

Has anyone ever got a Mac to connect to Windows RDP via Remote Web Access Gateway on SBS Server 2011?

iTap apparently does not work, and the new Microsoft one does not appear to work either.

Refer to this post for other comments:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/5987cf52-61ec-4b87-a258-56281b5329bf/connecting-mac-os-x-clients-via-remote-desktop-gateway?forum=winserverTS

Thursday, October 24, 2013 1:10 AM
  • iTap works.  I use it on an iPad.  You need to access rdgateway though which requires RDS cals.  Put in the url of the server in the Rdgateway section.

Don't Retire TechNet

Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:56 AM
  • Now that iTap is gone you can download Remote Desktop from the MAC store and use that. Remember to add your server's external FQDN or IP for the gateway. 

Monday, January 12, 2015 3:42 PM