Component installation failing due to incorrect drive letter RRS feed

• Question

• When checking the site status of our SCCM 2012 environment I discovered that the SQL component server showed a critical status.  The error log is full of events like the one I've copied below:

Site Component Manager could not copy file "E:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64\smssqlbkup.exe" to "\\ALNS0014.ALONUSA.COM\L$\SMS_ALNS0050.ALONUSA.COM\bin\x64\smssqlbkup.exe".

Site Component Manager reports this error when it fails to:

1. Create the destination directory, if it does not already exist.
    2. Assign the proper directory permissions to the destination directory.
    3. Copy the source file to the destination directory.

When I logged in to the SQL server I discovered that the SQL admin (who has since left the company) had changed the drive letters assigned to the different partitions; there is no longer a L$ drive.  The SMS_ALNS0050.ALONUSA.COM directory resides under a different drive letter.  My question is - is there a way for me to redirect the SCCM primary site server to the correct drive?

Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• I believe that error indicated that your back site maintenance task is set to write the backup to that specific path that doesn't exit.

You can easily check/change the directory where the backup is written to.  Go to the Site Maintananece and check the site backup task

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712334.aspx

Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:10 PM
  • It definitely seems tied to a SQL backup.  When I go to Site Maintenance & check the Backup Site Server task it's not currently enable.  Every hour I receive the error above for all the files in that referenced directory, followed by this error:

SMS_SITE_SQL_BACKUP_ALNS0050.ALONUSA.COM

Site Component Manager failed to reinstall this component on this site system.

Solution: Review the previous status messages to determine the exact reason for the failure. Site Component Manager will automatically retry the reinstallation in 60 minutes. To force Site Component Manager to immediately retry the reinstallation, stop and restart Site Component Manager using the Configuration Manager Service Manager.

It looks like it's trying to either reinstall or update the SQL component, but it's trying to go to the wrong path to copy the updated files.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jeff_Alme Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:33 PM
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 3:56 PM
  • Yeah, that was the ticket I opened for this originally.  The site reset did not resolve the issue.  I'll contact support.
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:03 PM