none
Change in Project Owner but Task updates are still going to Old PM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

One of our PMs was moving out, so we transferred that project to another PM by changing 1) Project Owner to new PM, 2)Deleting the old PM and adding new PM in Project Owner group and 3) changing status manager in MS Project application.

But when the team is updating the tasks and submitting for approval, surprisingly, the approval mail is going to the old PM.

Do you think we are missing any extra change here?

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 3:04 PM

All replies

• Mangaiah --

Did the new PM actually select him/herself in the Status Manager field?  If yes, did he/she publish the project after making the change?  The project MUST be published in order for the changes to take effect in the system.  Please let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:37 PM
  • Mangaiah --

I forgot to mention that the new PM must select his/her own name in the Status Manager field for EVERY task in the project.  And then he/she must publish the project as well in order for the changes to take place in the system.  Hope this also helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 5:39 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Dale,

Yes, I checked with him and he changed the name in Status Manager to his own name and published it a week back. But still old PM is getting the approval emails even yesterday.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 6:19 PM
  • Mangaiah --

Have you checked for errors in the Queue?  What you are describing is certainly NOT how Project Online works.  Please let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 6:26 PM
  • Gone through Job Queue history and didn't see any errors. everything shows successful. 

That's what I am surprised even as everything is changed where required but still the approval is going to old PM. That's why I mentioned here to see if I missed anything (sometimes we miss smallest silly things and search for bigger ones)

I went back and personally checked all permissions but can't see anything suspicious.

Is there a way I can check the permissions at that specific task level or user for which the notification went to old PM? 

I am new to PWA and still getting myself familiar with all the settings and options

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 9:22 PM
  • Are you getting the Project manager confused with the resource manager?   Are the task going to the resource manager for approval.  Check the profile for each users and see check if Timesheet manager is the same person as resource or if the timesheet manager is the project manager.

If the timesheet manager is old project manager, then change name to new project manager.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 9:30 PM
  • Are you getting the Project manager confused with the resource manager?   Are the task going to the resource manager for approval.  Check the profile for each users and see check if Timesheet manager is the same person as resource or if the timesheet manager is the project manager.

If the timesheet manager is old project manager, then change name to new project manager.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Resource Manager and TimeSheet Manager are not implemented as part of initial design. So, no timesheet manager is entered when creating resource in Resource Center and Timesheet manager is showing as the same person as the resource.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 2:24 PM
  • Any other input for this?
    Friday, June 9, 2017 6:47 PM