none
Is there a risk in staying with Windows 10 Mobile after support ends? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a Nokia Lumia 925 running Windows 10 Mobile.

As nothing can run on it unless it comes from the Windows App Store, and what apps do run, are run in their own space, are there any actual risks to staying with it after Microsoft finishes support?

The fact is, that I am quite happy with it, have no need of any new apps, and only use as a HotSpot for NOW TV/BBC iPlayer (etc.) and for browsing sites such as:

• YouTube
    • Google Search
    • Facebook
    • Yahoo! Mail,
    • MS Outlook/OneDrive
    • Amazon,
    • eBay,
    • PayPal,
    • secure bank/credit card sites
    • Wikipedia
    • News sites like BBC News/Weather, Guardian, Independent, Telegraph

So are there any big risks I should consider apart from soneone saying my phone is out of date (NOT an iPhone / NOT a Samsung Galaxy)?

Thanks

Philip

Sunday, June 30, 2019 1:37 PM

All replies

• Hello,

As per https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4485197/windows-10-mobile-end-of-support-faq, Microsoft wants you to switch to Android or iOS:

With the Windows 10 Mobile OS end of support (December 10, 2019), we recommend that customers move to a supported Android or iOS device. Microsoft’s mission statement to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more, compels us to support our Mobile apps on those platforms and devices.

Customers who expect to continue using their Windows 10 Mobile device after December 10, 2019 are encouraged to manually create a backup using the Settings->Update & security->Backup->More Options and then tapping Back up now before that date.

Hope this answers your query!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Monday, July 1, 2019 5:53 AM
  • Hello,

As per https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4485197/windows-10-mobile-end-of-support-faq, Microsoft wants you to switch to Android or iOS:

With the Windows 10 Mobile OS end of support (December 10, 2019), we recommend that customers move to a supported Android or iOS device. Microsoft’s mission statement to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more, compels us to support our Mobile apps on those platforms and devices.

Customers who expect to continue using their Windows 10 Mobile device after December 10, 2019 are encouraged to manually create a backup using the Settings->Update & security->Backup->More Options and then tapping Back up now before that date.

Hope this answers your query!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

That's NOT AN ANSWER to the question

I asked if there were any real risks to my continuing to use a Windows 10 device seeing as it ios completely locked down and I don't use any dodgy website...

Providing a canned answer from Microsoft blogs that I am already aware of doesn't help in any way.

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 9:50 AM