Default admin account for administrator authentication RRS feed

• Question

• First, let me state that I am new to TechNet.  I was referred here by a forum moderator regarding a question I asked there.  If I have posted this question in the wrong forum, I apologize.

Second, I had read posts about the "Default Administrator Account".  Let me state up front that I am not referring to a built-in Administrator Account in Windows.

I have a computer that has multiple Windows 10 Administrator accounts.  One I created when the computer was initially set up; the other was created by Acronis Backup when the backup software was installed.  As this account was created by Acronis, I have never known the password for this account, nor do I care to learn it (I want to do as little as possible that might possibly make Acronis unstable).  The computer also has one standard user account, which is what I use most of the time.

Every now and then, I get prompted by Windows 10 for an administrator to authenticate some actions.  A simple example of this is when I try to delete an icon from the desktop that is installed for all users.  When Windows 10 prompts for administrator authentication, it selects one of the installed admin accounts and prompts for the password for that account.  If Windows selected the "wrong" admin account, you can change which account is used by clicking on the More choices link, after which you can select the desired admin account and enter the appropriate password to grant permission to perform the action.

My problem is that Windows 10 ALWAYS selects the admin account for Acronis, rather than the admin account I created for this computer.  Changing from one admin account to the other isn't cumbersome, but it does require a few mouse clicks, and it is annoying.  What I want is for Windows 10 to ask for the password for the rladmin account in the first place, rather than the password for the Acronis Agent User account.

So, is there a way to force Windows 10 to use a particular admin account for admin authentication?

Thanks in advance,

Ariel S. Rogson

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Ariel S. Rogson,

According to my test, I think the order of those accounts are based on the first letter of the account. I am afraid it is not available to change the order.

As a work around, we could try to change the administrator account name to make it shown before the " Acronis " account.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 30, 2016 5:41 AM