none
DPM 2010 RC to Final RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to upgrade from the RC to final and get the following error

The physical location of the existing DPM database cannot be found

Verify that the instance of SQL Server is properly installed and that the MSSQL$MSDPM2010RCEVAL SQL Server service is running

ID: 843

The SQL isnt running and cant be started because the evaluation has expired.  Can I simply reinstall a full version of SQL 2008 over the expired one and continue the DPM install.  I really dont want to lose all of my DPM info thats in the eval DB

Thanks,

• Moved by Parag Agrawal Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:18 AM upgrade related Q. Moving to DPM setup forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Friday, August 13, 2010 4:31 PM

Answers

• When you upgrade the new DPM Eval to DPM RTM Version, DPM RTM will install a new full retail version of SQL, and after the upgrade is successful you can un-install the SQL EVAL version.
    Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 9:19 PM

All replies

•  

If you have installed DPM 2010 Eval, the DPM 2010 Eval has expired – and you did NOT uninstall it.

Solution:

a. If you are using a remote SQL, you can simply run the Upgrade bits and perform an upgrade because SQL should not expire on remote install.
    b. If you are using a local SQL instance then:
       i. Make a note of the SQL instance name, then take a backup of the DPMDB or copy DPMDB ldf and mdf files and attach the files after the instance is re-installed in step iii. below.
     ii. uninstall the SQL instance being used by DPM.
     iii. From the DPM installation media run the SQL installer and manually install an evaluation edition of SQL with the same name noted in i. 
     iv. Attach the DB saved in step i. above to this instance .
     v. Now run the DPM 2010 RTM setup to upgrade.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 4:59 PM
  • Hi Mike and thanks for the quick reply.  If I follow this step

iii. From the DPM installation media run the SQL installer and manually install an evaluation edition of SQL with the same name noted in i. 

will I not have the same problem again in the future that the eval will expire?   Should I not install a full version of SQL or SQL express?

Friday, August 13, 2010 5:34 PM
  • When you upgrade the new DPM Eval to DPM RTM Version, DPM RTM will install a new full retail version of SQL, and after the upgrade is successful you can un-install the SQL EVAL version.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 9:19 PM
  • Thanks Mike!!!

I was stuck on this exact issue also. I still ran into a little issue as I only uninstalled the instance and still couldn't run the SQL Management Studio after re-installing the instance. I figured out that I had to completely remove SQL 2008 from my system and reinstall.

Upgrade finished successfully and system is up and running.

Thanks again

Friday, November 12, 2010 1:46 PM