Newbie Problem: Windows Media 11 Won't Play WMV Files RRS feed

• Question

•  

Does anyone have a way to "repair" or "reinstall" Media Player?

I have Business Vista OS with Windows Media Player 11.

However, the Windows Media Player 11 won't play WMV files.  I get the following error message:

“Windows Media Player cannot play the file.  The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.”.

After getting this message, the "check for a solution" option in Windows Media Player gets you nothing.

I've checked the player using the demo WMV files that come with the OS.  They don't work.  I've checked the WMV files on other systems.  They work.   The problem is my system.

I've checked Microsoft Tech web site for over 3 hours.   No go.   I've tried to download and install Windows Media Player 11 again gets an already installed message.   Also the Windows Update claims I am up to date.

The only other option I can think of is to go into IE - Tools - Internet Options - Programs - Manage Add-Ons, and then delelet all video and audio functions, then start a Media Player install from scratch.  However, I don't know what the ripple effects of this solution are.

Does anyone have a simple solution??

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 11:39 PM

All replies

• Hi

The problem is very likely a corrupt or deleted Codec. This is a common problem when third party media devices or software replace the default codecs.

See the following thread for information.

Re: After SP1, recoreded windows live meeting files will not play the WMV video - TechNet Forums:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2801519&SiteID=17

See the message from Tim Quan [MSFT]  in this thread for a suggested codec package.

Re: WMP 11 Stopped Working - TechNet Forums:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3489468&SiteID=17

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:15 AM
  • Hellow Ronnie,

Thank you for the advise.  Unfortunately, I am still dead in the water.

I ran the codec package.  Everything in the listing had a Microsoft source on it, except Intel (AVI), Franhofer (MP3) and DSP, which I recognize as historical sources of video/audio technology Microsoft distributes.

I found the program flagged a number of missing files by highlighting them in red.  Typically these were 0 size files and below them were older files with the same name.  Maybe a bad install.  I tried disabling the 0 length missing files.  No effect.

The bottom line is I did not find a non-Microsoft source codec. 

Is there anyway to delete Windows Media Player and then just download the latest version, Media Player 11?

Trying to patch this has become a hugh pain the *ss and time sink that is just not worth it. 

Regards,

Patrick Kearns

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:05 PM