Track time of an open issue from start to finish, minus stoppages? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am looking to create a basic SP2007 site that will be used to track a project. The aim of this site is to allow us to track how long the project was in each team.

Seems simple enough to calculate if it all went smooth such as team 1 starts on X and passes to team b on Y, who then pass on to team C on Z.

Unfortunately its not as simple as that as it can go from team 1 to team 2 and then back to team 1 before coming back into team 2 and onto 3.

In that scenario how would I be able to calculate team twos total time spent on the project?

If I use =TEXT([finish]-[start],"dd:hh:mm") that would be incorrect as it seems the project has never went back to team one.

So I basically need a timer, such as a check box when selected calculates the time it has been checked and if unchecked and re-checked resumes timing.

Is this possible?

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Don

Friday, April 4, 2014 10:40 AM

Answers

• so generally speaking, it SHOULD be implemented as such:

[list: teams]

[list: project]

[assigned to as lookup column to Teams list]

[list: project time]

[Project as lookup column to Project list]

[assigned to as lookup column to Teams list]

[start time]

[end time]

[time spent as calculated column]

then on the project list, you can have a SPD workflow or something to keep the project time list accurate... when a project is reassigned, it marks the end time for the previous [assignee], add new list items for new assignees, etc.

Then on the reporting side, you can just do a connected web part and filter the Project Time on Project, group by Assignee with total time spent.. you could also use some of the BI features if you wanted to do some really slick stuff.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Friday, April 4, 2014 1:30 PM