none
{ForMDT2012u1/2013} Is there a manner to add computers to disimilar OU's with in a domain? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to assign domain computers to dissimilar OU's within a single domain from a single deployment share?

Example:

PC001 goes to OU="Corp_Office",OU="Workstations",OU="domain",OU="Delegated",DC=field,DC=contoso,DC=com

PC002 goes to OU="Foreign_Office",OU="Workstations",OU="domain",OU="Delegated",DC=field,DC=contoso,DC=com

I'd like to be able to do this with out using the DB or convoluted script. Can this be done in 2 separate task sequences sharing a common rules set from the deployment share properties? 

• Edited by DHalse Monday, March 10, 2014 9:59 PM Referencing MDT versions
    Monday, March 10, 2014 9:56 PM

Answers

• Just did a search for DomainOUs1 (duh.. need more coffee this morning)and found this link which explained its use in addition to the other example you gave in the CS.ini a bit more:

http://deploymentbunny.com/2011/02/22/mdt-and-ous-including-spaces-and-odd-characters/

• Marked as answer by DHalse Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:17 PM
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:17 PM

All replies

• Is there a way to assign domain computers to dissimilar OU's within a single domain from a single deployment share?

Example:

PC001 goes to OU="Corp_Office",OU="Workstations",OU="domain",OU="Delegated",DC=field,DC=contoso,DC=com

PC002 goes to OU="Foreign_Office",OU="Workstations",OU="domain",OU="Delegated",DC=field,DC=contoso,DC=com

I'd like to be able to do this with out using the DB or convoluted script. Can this be done in 2 separate task sequences sharing a common rules set from the deployment share properties? 

Sure there is a way with in 1 TS and multiple OU's in the same domain. Need more information on what is differnt between the clients that would go to either OU. for example if the clients are named differently for each OU. You could use a DomainOUs List.

In customsettings.ini add the following:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    DomainOUs1=OU=Computers, OU=Tellers, OU=NYC, DC=WOODGROVEBANK, DC=Com
    DomainOUs2=OU=Computers, OU=Managers, OU=NYC, DC=WOODGROVEBANK, DC=Com

Or if you prefer files, create a file called DomainOUList.xml and store that in the scripts folder that looks like this:

<?xml version=”1.0″ encoding=”utf-8″?>
    <DomainOUs>
    <DomainOU>
    OU=Computers,OU=Tellers,OU=NYC,DC=WOODGROVEBANK,DC=Com
    </DomainOU>
    <DomainOU>
    OU=Computers,OU=Managers,OU=NYC,DC=WOODGROVEBANK,DC=Com
    </DomainOU>
    </DomainOUs>

There are many ways to approach this.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Monday, March 10, 2014 11:34 PM
  • Basically, I just want to assign which OU the computer goes to by what TS its given. I don't want to have to create a new deployment share just for that. However I am curious as to how you would differentiate which computer would use your CS entries(below), AE. Would this be defined via wmi property?:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 3:04 PM
  • Basically, I just want to assign which OU the computer goes to by what TS its given. I don't want to have to create a new deployment share just for that. However I am curious as to how you would differentiate which computer would use your CS entries(below), AE. Would this be defined via wmi property?:

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y

The above structure is in the cs.ini

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Proposed as answer by Massivesystem Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:23 PM
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 3:26 PM
  • Just did a search for DomainOUs1 (duh.. need more coffee this morning)and found this link which explained its use in addition to the other example you gave in the CS.ini a bit more:

http://deploymentbunny.com/2011/02/22/mdt-and-ous-including-spaces-and-odd-characters/

• Marked as answer by DHalse Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:17 PM
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:17 PM