Wireless clients disconnect randomly after 30+ minutes of being logged on RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All

I would share this problem I am having on here to see if anyone else suffered similar issues.

I found out we had an issue when one of our laptops trolleys were being used which had 15 laptops on the go at the same time in a classroom. I know our wireless network is designed for us to be able to use a significant number of laptops at the same time as it has the blanket technology rather than cell planning and when we had it working on IAS Radius on server 2003 it worked fine so am struggling to understand the problem.

All laptops are on the domain. When a domain user logs in at logon, all laptops will connect fine to the wireless network but after about 30 minutes – 1 hour, we find that randomly laptops will disconnect from the wireless so the users lose connection to both network resources and the internet.

The only way for us to resolve is to turn off the wireless and then turn it back on. I have updated all laptops with the changes from our conversations, I have also updated the wireless driver to the latest Intel driver which was released in September 2009 and have tried a few things such as leaving it more open so I can eliminate any possible connectivity problems but am having no luck.

On our wireless network we have 2 SSIDs, one for any domain laptops which is the SSID configured through NPS and the other one is a visitor SSID which we use on guest non domain laptops and PDA’s. This is mainly for them to get on to the internet. This involves putting in a WPA key to activate the wireless, The visitor SSID is fine so I have eliminated any potential problems on the wireless switch side. I believe this is a configuration problem with NPS and was hoping someone might be able to assist me with this.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 10:00 AM

Answers

• Found out what the problem was. it was a simple config problem.

The configuration on the NPS server needed to be amended. On the connection policy I needed to set using ‘windows groups’ and not ‘machine or user groups’ . I inputted the AD groups we created which had the wireless devices into the windows groups area and it worked. I used the machines group initially and added in the AD machine group I created but this didnt work.
    • Marked as answer by QBIT_Team Sunday, February 7, 2010 9:26 PM
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 9:26 PM

All replies

• Could you please check whether there are some related events from the NPS server machine? with that I can do the further investigation for you. thanks. 
    Sorry. My posting is my personal suggestion, Microsoft won't take any responsibilities for my posting. But I am more than happy to try my best to help you.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Found out what the problem was. it was a simple config problem.

The configuration on the NPS server needed to be amended. On the connection policy I needed to set using ‘windows groups’ and not ‘machine or user groups’ . I inputted the AD groups we created which had the wireless devices into the windows groups area and it worked. I used the machines group initially and added in the AD machine group I created but this didnt work.
    • Marked as answer by QBIT_Team Sunday, February 7, 2010 9:26 PM
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 9:26 PM