W7 64 Prof Black Screen @ boot, restarts successfully from safe mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I am encountering a persistent condition upon boot of Windows 7 professional, 64 bit. I get the windows logo, then the Welcome screen, followed by a blank screen with white cursor. I can wait 15 minutes and the boot won't get me to desktop, although there is activity on the drive and my DSL shows activity as well. If I can not get Task Manager up, fails with a login process error. At times I also get a dwm.exe error, but I have since removed all my personal icons and have only explorer, sticky notes and files pinned. I have applied service pack 1 and IE 9, with no improvement. I have run msert.exe full and quick with no malware detected.

The amazing thing is that if I shut down then come up in safe mode, then elect to restart from safe mode, the system restarts correctly.

I've looked a bit at the event logs when in safe mode and have found the following, but not sure if any are significant:

Special privileges assigned to new logon. Subject: Security ID: Owner-PC\Owner, Account Name: Owner, Account Domain: Owner-PC, Logon ID: 0xc14acd, Privileges: SeSecurityPrivilege, SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege, SeLoadDriverPrivilege, SeBackupPrivilege, SeRestorePrivilege, SeDebugPrivilege, SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege, SeImpersonatePrivilege

Application Log Warning from App Winlogon event 4006: The Windows logon process has failed to spawn a user application. Application name: . Command line parameters: C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe.

System Log Error: Source: Application Popup; Event: 1060; Keywords:Classic; Desc: SysWow64\drivers\Afc.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver. This error is followed by this Warning from Kernel-Pnp event 219: The driver \Driver\Afc failed to load for the device IDE\CdRomMATSHITA_BD-CMB_UJ141EL_________________1.00____\4&25d920ff&0&0.0.0.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 2:40 PM

Answers

• Hi. This problem has evaporated. It was consistent over a couple of days and is now gone. I have my Lexmark All In One and DSL on the same power strip as my pc. Normally I turn on the power strip then boot the pc.  Yesterday I booted the pc without the powerstrip and found that the pc came up normally. I then turned on the DSL and everything went well. I turned everything off and later in the day I turned on the powerstrip then the pc. The pc booted correctly. I just repeaated and the problem is gone.

Any ideas?

Thanks to everyone who read this post.

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, June 24, 2011 7:57 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:15 PM