Shared folder problem. RRS feed

• Question

• I work for a company that does work for government companies and needs specific folders locked down a specific way.  They would like to have all these folders put into one main folder with a password protecting the main folder. I told them this is relatively impossible without compressing the files and then adding a password, but the problem is that by adding a password to a compressed folder it then adds a password to each individual file. I have been doing some trial and error configurations (mostly errors) on a made up folder with share permissions. They are currently running server 2003 on the system. I would like to setup up their main share folder for their confidential files by allowing only an individual user account to access this folder. I have tried to only allow this one user access under the shared permissions button with this user account being the only in the security tab as well, but when i try accessing this share from other domain user accounts i only get a denial of access to the folder. I would like to have a windows user name and password dialgue prompt to pop up when a user tries to access this specific share. How would i go about doing this? Or is there another way to password protect a specific folder in 2003?

Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:17 PM

Answers

• Pretty sure this is the wrong forum, but here's the Million Dollar Question....Why do you want a password in it? Why not just setup normal ACL's and use windows' internal security to restrict and/or gain access?

Assuming the volume is formated as NTFS, then set the share permissions to Everyone Full Control, and then set the appropriate ACL permissions on the folder to only allow those users who should have access. All other users will inherently be denied...When using a mix of both Share and NTFS permissions, the most restrictive is put into place...So make sure you set Everyone Full Control on the share, and then lock down the folder with NTFS permissions.

Have a look here http//technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754178.aspx
    • Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:28 AM
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:53 PM
  • EFS will be your best solution but if thats not an option, there are a number of 3rd party utilities to add passwords to folders...I think you need to educate your employer as to what EFS is and what it can do as this WILL provide the solution they are looking for.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 9:20 PM

All replies

• Pretty sure this is the wrong forum, but here's the Million Dollar Question....Why do you want a password in it? Why not just setup normal ACL's and use windows' internal security to restrict and/or gain access?

Assuming the volume is formated as NTFS, then set the share permissions to Everyone Full Control, and then set the appropriate ACL permissions on the folder to only allow those users who should have access. All other users will inherently be denied...When using a mix of both Share and NTFS permissions, the most restrictive is put into place...So make sure you set Everyone Full Control on the share, and then lock down the folder with NTFS permissions.

Have a look here http//technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754178.aspx
    • Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:28 AM
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Sorry if this is the wrong forum for my question. Could you point me to the forum i should be in? Im not the one that wants the password on the system, its the owner of the company i work for. He thinks it will be more secure that way. I've tried third party password protection software being installed on the server but evertime a client goes to access the folder the password entry prompt doesnt pop up on their workstations. The password prompt however pops up on the server. Anyways, Is there a way to setup the share so that once clicked on it asks for another windows login? I know it might be dumb doing it this way, but this is what my employer wants. If you can help me Id greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Friday, December 11, 2009 1:52 PM
  • EFS will be your best solution but if thats not an option, there are a number of 3rd party utilities to add passwords to folders...I think you need to educate your employer as to what EFS is and what it can do as this WILL provide the solution they are looking for.
    Friday, December 11, 2009 9:20 PM