none
datasource persists after removal from protection group RRS feed

• Question

• Per an earlier post, I'm removing any client that exists in DPM but not in Active Directory. I get a list of DPM computers using the simple:

$DPMComputers = Get-DPMDatasource -DPMServerName $DPMServer

Then, I'm using the following to delete a datasource:

$ds = Get-DPMDatasource -ComputerNames $not_ad_comp -DPMServerName $DPMServer
    $pg = Get-ProtectionGroup -DPMServerName $DPMServer | Where-Object { $_.FriendlyName -eq $ds.ProtectionGroup.FriendlyName }
    $modpg = Get-ModifiableProtectionGroup -ProtectionGroup $pg
    Remove-ChildDatasource -ProtectionGroup $modpg -ChildDataSource $ds
    Set-ProtectionGroup $modpg
    .\Remove-ProductionServer.ps1 -DPMServerName $DPMServer -PSName "$not_ad_comp.fqdn"

It does remove it from the protection group. But when I get the new list of $DPMComputers, the item is still there. Looking at the properties of the "$ds", it shows that its not being protected and that there isn't a replica... why would it still exist? It doesn't show up in the GUI.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:54 PM

Answers

• All referenced datasources that a DPM server knew about will always be presented in the database even if you are not protecting it.

If you want $DPMComputers to return data that is actively protected, create $DPMComputers this way:

$DPMComputers = Get-DPMDatasource -DPMServerName $DPMServer | ? { $_.currentprotectionstate -eq 'Protected' }

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Friday, March 1, 2013 8:14 PM