none
Password expiry notices not appearing

Question

• I've got a big problem with these balloon warning not appearing on all users PC's. Password rules as set up in the GPO, which is pushed out as the DDP. Users were getting prompts, but it's stopped (without anyone changing anything). I have tried enforcing it to NOT disable balloons (double negative...), set it to warm 14 days in advance etc, but nothing.

I then removed the password rules all together, but it didn't stop passwords expiring, I read that once set, these rules stay. So I've had to up them to expire in 360 days, so my users are not kicked out all the time.

I must be missing something. I've checked the policies are applying onto the PC's, enforced it to check with the server not caches credentials, forced it to give 14 days notice, forced the balloon notifications and nothing. My test account is not locked, is allowed to change password and password is NOT set to expire. Everything is correct, but still not notification!

Clients are windows 7. No balloon appears. I've increased my test users balloon notification time to max and I still don't see them.

Interestingly, whilst implementing a test of a email reminder script, my test account got a reminder, but it said expires in 158 days. Even though the only GPO applied to it is set to expire every 1 day.

Clearly something is not applying correctly to my users, so these settings are just not working.

Very frustrating issue. Even confirming in gpresult that the max password age is 1 day.

Any ideas?

GPO:

Account Policies/Password Policy
    Policy Setting
    Maximum password age 1 days
    Minimum password age 0 days
    Local Policies/Security Options
    Interactive Logon
    Policy Setting
    Interactive logon: Number of previous logons to cache (in case domain controller is not available) 0 logons
    Interactive logon: Prompt user to change password before expiration 14 days
    Interactive logon: Require Domain Controller authentication to unlock workstation Enabled
    Remove Balloon Tips on Start Menu items: Disabled

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 2:59 PM