Lync /Skype for Business not being detected RRS feed

• Question

• Have installed Lync Server 2013 management pack.

We have all servers proxy setting ON.
    SCOM Mgmnt Servers and Lync Servers are in the same domain.
    Have one Lync Server in DMZ and this is reporting in SCOM via certificates.
    All Lync Servers are reporting into SCOM as normal windows computers.

Problem is the same old nothing is showing up in the Lync 2013 MP Servers view.

Have added the NETWORK SERVICE account to the following local groups on the DMZ server:

RTC Component LocalRTC Local Administrators

Then restart the System Center Management service.

No errors on the Mgmt Server nor the DMZ server event logs.

Anybody got any ideas?

Regards

SR

Saiyad Rahim

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 11:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Gourav,

I found my issue.
    i was using Lync 2013 MP.
    I uninstalled it and imported Skype for Business 2015MP.

Waited 5 minutes and everything just showed up green.

Found Event ID: 223.

i guess i made a mistake thinking that Lync 2013 was rebranded to Skype for Business and the Lync2013 MP would still work.
    But that is not the case.
    we are on Office 2016 and O365 so wise to use Skype for Business 2015 MP.

Just noticed my Edge server (DMZ) has turned RED complaining about "NT Authority\NetworkService".

i will remove this from the RTC Component Local and RTC Local Administrators.

Saiyad Rahim

• Proposed as answer by Sameer Mhaisekar Friday, May 18, 2018 1:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Saiyad Monday, May 21, 2018 1:22 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Saiyad,

Can you see on DMZ servers discovery is running successfully with event id 223. And in this event detail you can see all the discovery name.

Below is the reference screenshot:- 

And for further you can check this link.

Share your findings :)

Cheers, Gourav Please remember to mark the replies as answers if it helped.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 3:54 AM
  • In order to configure your Microsoft Lync Server 2013 infrastructure to work with System Center Operations Manager you must do three things:

• Identify and configure your primary System Center Operations Manager management server. Configuring the management server includes installing System Center Operations Manager 2012 or System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2,  as well as setting up a back-end database using SQL Server. The actual version of SQL Server that you need to be use depends on the version of  System Center Operations Manager you are using. For details, see Configuring the primary management server in Lync Server 2013.

• Identify and configure the Lync Server computers that you want to monitor. To monitor a Lync Server computer by using System Center Operations Manager you must install the System Center Operations Manager agent files, and configure each server to act as a proxy.

• Identify and configure the computers that you want to act as Lync Server watcher nodes. Watcher nodes are computers that periodically run Lync Server synthetic transactions, which are  Windows PowerShell cmdlets that verify that key Lync Server components, such as the ability to log on to the system or the ability to exchange instant messages are working as expected.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 7:11 AM
  • Hi Gourav,

No results for EventID: 223.

I do however have tons of 4201 for months.
    Warning -  EventID: 4201- Health Service Script (nothing in the description)

Management Group: STJOHNSCOM. Script: GetSQL2014SPNState.vbs. Version: 6.7.15.0 : The next errors occured:
    The computer is not domain joined.
     Error Number: -2147023541
     Description: 

And another Information - EventID: 4201 - Health Service Script:

Management Group: STJOHNSCOM. Database Discovery: RTCLOCAL : Database for SQL instance 'RTCLOCAL' discovers successfully.

And another with same EventID: 4201:

Management Group: STJOHNSCOM. Database File Group Discovery: RTCLOCAL : Database File groups for SQL instance 'RTCLOCAL' discovers successfully. 

Regrads

SR

Saiyad Rahim

Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:39 PM
  • Hi Xin,

We have had SCOM 2012 R2 running in our environment for four years so I would assume most of the prerequisites have been completed.
    Lync servers have been in the network for about 1 year and reporting in SCOM perfectly as Windows Computer so i assume the Agents are installed and working properly.

We have just installed Lync2013 MP and it does not detect any Lync Servers.
    Any ideas?

Regards
    SR

Saiyad Rahim

• Edited by Saiyad Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:43 PM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:43 PM
  • Hi Gourav,

I found my issue.
    i was using Lync 2013 MP.
    I uninstalled it and imported Skype for Business 2015MP.

Waited 5 minutes and everything just showed up green.

Found Event ID: 223.

i guess i made a mistake thinking that Lync 2013 was rebranded to Skype for Business and the Lync2013 MP would still work.
    But that is not the case.
    we are on Office 2016 and O365 so wise to use Skype for Business 2015 MP.

Just noticed my Edge server (DMZ) has turned RED complaining about "NT Authority\NetworkService".

i will remove this from the RTC Component Local and RTC Local Administrators.

Saiyad Rahim

• Proposed as answer by Sameer Mhaisekar Friday, May 18, 2018 1:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Saiyad Monday, May 21, 2018 1:22 AM
    Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:39 PM
  • Great Sir,

I have read that in Lync and Skype monitoring event id 223 is must for discovery. 

Do remove this <<i will remove this from the RTC Component Local and RTC Local Administrators.>> as you told us that server is now discovered so you can remove this account from all the RTC group because these are basically used to discover SFB edge servers over proxy in DMZ/work-group server. 

Please mark the answer and close the thread, Humble urge :)

Cheers, Gourav Please remember to mark the replies as answers if it helped.

Friday, May 18, 2018 3:51 AM